Innovative Money-Saving Tips

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zoesmama Posts: 2774
Well, we are struggling a bit these days - we are paying all the Bills but we are not even breaking even every month mostly due to unexpected expenses. So I really need to get the finances back on track. Already shop around for all Grocery items and Ins and things like that. All ideas welcome !
lcarrick Posts: 1639
same here need to get back on track, i'm working in dublin so only at home at the weekend with hubbie and DS, so we aways end up spending money out! need to stop this! any tips or advise, need to change habits!
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
It's sad, but we do our food shopping by the offer booklets, we sit down with the one from aldi, lidl and tesco and do up a list of what to get from each, then we know exactly what were getting when we go to the shop, luckily all 3 shops are close together so there's no travelling to find the offers. Also if we have a bit of money left over, we'll keep it aside for the next months bills, as opposed to spending it! Am struggling to think of other things we can do, our DD for health insurance bounced this month, there's just no money there to pay it :o( I even quit smoking to save money. Am just fed up being so poor :weep
blue2012 Posts: 126
Bring lunches to work. Always have a bottle of water handy and snacks for when you are hungry. Take out set amount of cash at start of week for everything and put laser card away until following week. Only carry enough cash for each day, don't carry extra. If you are going into shop, bring near the exact amount you need, less impulse buying. For at least one weekend a month, do not get into car or go anywhere. Stock up on food before hand. Only go where you can walk to, only do things if they are free. Saves petrol and impulse buying. Make the most of it and have a romantic weekend with OH. Give up drink for a few weeks and drive if you go out, saves a lot. Invite people around for drinks (BYOB), cheaper and social. Check electricity provider and see if you can get cheaper with someone else. Same for tv and internet. Look at phone bill, shop around for cheaper or better deal if you are Pay as you go. See if you can cut down on electricity bill, plug everything out, cut down on dryer use, turn heat down/off. Shorter showers, wash clothes on cooler cycle. ESB have good tips I hate when you cannot get the balance right and it seems like every month you are catching up. If you have all expenditure finely tuned then maybe you need to look at income. Have a look if there is anyway you can increase cashflow. Babysitting at weekend, any skill either of you have etc. It is hard to do without sacrificing quality together time.
Mari yay Posts: 4045
I find baking or cooking can be cost effective. It can be a little expensive to get all the stuff, but Aldi/Lidl or Tesco own brand flour etc is what I buy. Making bulk meals and freezing them like stews, hotpots, lasagnes, pies etc.
mrsbo Posts: 344
Some great tips-thanks!
ianstuart Posts: 1947
Im not great at the money saving tips but ive switched my mobile phone operator to the new 48 operator. Its for 18 -22 year olds and its unlimited txt and calls to all mobile's for E10 A MONTH , land lines are more . Yes i did tell a little white lie to get the sim card but sure i pay my E10 and were all happy. Worth a look girls.
MiniMeonBoard Posts: 6208
[quote="blue2012":ceucptoo]Bring lunches to work. Always have a bottle of water handy and snacks for when you are hungry. Take out set amount of cash at start of week for everything and put laser card away until following week. Only carry enough cash for each day, don't carry extra. If you are going into shop, bring near the exact amount you need, less impulse buying. .[/quote:ceucptoo] this is what I do. I had to leave the laser at home or it would be too tempting to get a coffee and crossant in the morning and x5 mornings that adds up.. The temptation is removed straight away.. I buy loads of meat on special offer and freeze them. Pastas are a great meal and so cheap. Usually if I have chicken one day ill save some and pop it into pasta the next day and add some sweetcorn and bit of veg to bulk it up. Like that if Lidl have veg on offer for 22c ill buy that as its great for bulking stews etc and making homemade soup. Very cheap and tasty. We tend to pop to asda every few months and stock up on shampoos (4 for £3) and tooth paste (£1) etc. I know this wont be feasible for alot of you. But we had a trolley and half for €155. Plus that incl 48 cans of Winalot, 4 boxes of Bonios and 3 boxes of asda dog treats. That would have been approx €45 alone here. When I go to Tesco 2 bags cost me almost €40.. Re activities at the weekend with kids. what about a day at the park. Bring a mini picnic and a game and spend the day. Then record a movie on tv or borrow a dvd and then have a cuddly night in with cheap wine and a few nibbles (the pound shops have lots of 3 for €2 snacks) We do this alot.. If you have any second hand shops near you maybe you could pick up a puzzle to do together with the kids. Also if you have friends with kids babysit for each other and that cuts out that expenditure (maybe €20-€30) and use the evening for quality time. Go to the cinema or for a few drinks. Or have a night in with friends. That can be very cheap. Bottle of wine each or few beers.. We do this and someone might bring the wee or something for the craic. We hardly ever use the dryer. The clothes horse is great for drying clothes. We would only use the dishwasher maybe once a month also.
BusyMom Posts: 717
- Claim back all the tax you can - between med1, rent tax credits, company-paid tax credits, bin charges tax credits, you can really wrack up some good savings! Obviously they're not all applicable to everyone but worth looking through the list of credits available! - I drive about 10 miles to work each way every day but it's mostly motorway driving with no traffic congestion. I've started driving at 100km/hr as opposed to 120+km/hr and the amount of diesel it saves is UNREAL! - If you are with Sky TV, threaten to leave them for UPC...they'll offer you everything under the sun (i.e. half price for another 6 months etc) to keep you! - [quote="babyhopesanddreams12":26i835wt]I buy loads of meat on special offer and freeze them[/quote:26i835wt] We take this to a whole new level - if onions/peppers etc are about to go off, we chop and freeze them. Not only does it save you throwing out food, it also saves time when you go to cook with them as you can just throw them straight into the pan as opposed to having to cut/clean them!