Internal Examinations...when?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

NotHere Posts: 10273
When do the Internal Examinations start? I have an appointment with my consultant about a week and a half before my due date and want to be prepared for it if I'm going to be examined! I had it in my head that I wouldn't be checked until the due date or unless I thought I was going into labour.
speedy55 Posts: 512
in my experience (only had 1 baby so far :o0 ) you will generally be given an internal to check how far dilated you are. therefore it will be if you feel labour has started. i actually asked for an internal to confirm i was in labour because my waters hadn't broken. i had 2 others during the labour and both were to check dilation. i didn't find them too bad, obviously uncomfortable but they were worth it to find out how far i had gone.
Thanks Speedy :thnk I don't mind them checking, it's all part of the process, just didn't want to be caught off guard!
charli Posts: 5994
well for me it was like this. when doc decided that i would be induced a week early (high BP) he did an internal just to check it my uterus was effaced (i had thought this was like dialated but it is more to check if your uterus is ready for the gel that induces you - mine was) other than that i didnt think you would be checked until due date HTH
Cheers Charli :thnk
theoracle Posts: 7664
Same as the others, first internal only at end of pregnancy when I had a sweep of membranes as I was over the due date. This pregnancy had an internal at 12 weeks, but I asked for it cause I was bleeding and wanted to know why.
Lady Di Posts: 2487
I'm having a swab thing next Friday to check me for Strep B as I had it with my last pregnancy. Then after that I don't know..... I'm not getting waxed till just before my due date though!!
jellybaby Posts: 2316
First internal I had was whe I went to hospital the night my waters broke (night before due date!) It wasn't even an internal as such, more to test the waters, to see if it was indeed my waters! Went home anyway and when I came back (because of the contractions) at 5am I had my first proper internal, at 4cm. Had more at 6, 8 and 10cm. But to be honest, the first one was the worst, it's just the embarrassment more than anything. Once you're in the height of labour though, you forget all about that!!
Cheers ladies :thnk MB, you are so beave being waxed down there! The best I'll do is some form of trim up :o0
Topolino Posts: 1659
I have one at every visit to my gynaecologist, which is every three weeks!!!