Internment as a way of dealing with known criminal gangs ...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs Mia Wallace Posts: 869
After listening to Matt Cooper last night and the cries for internment to be put in place to deal with the feuding gangs in Limerick, I'm wondering what peoples thoughts on this are? Basically, the gardai would have the power to arrest and incarcerate (without trial) people who they believe to part of criminal gangs. Is this a gross breach of human rights or an effective way of dealing with these people who seem to be able to avoid prosecution and continue with their criminal behaviors putting the lives of ordinary decent people at risk?
LabLady Posts: 4325
cant wait to see the replies on this. TBH yes I would. On the short term. If your innocent you have nothing to fear. But I cant see it being a long term solution. But again this is just my opinion due the the current climate in Limerick and I guess from the circumstances here at the moment radical solutions seem to be the only option to stop the bloodshed and fear.
fantac Posts: 4109
yep - i think its proabbly the ony thing they can do. but i also think that the smarter (if there are any) guys wont get caught, so the thicko thugs who aren't masterminding anything will be incarcerated and the evil f'ers will still roam free. but i really dont think the gardai will have th guts to do something like that - they have families too and the knacker gang typs know that - i would be terrified for my children and my dh and myself if i was married to a limerick guard trynig to tackle something like that.
fantac Posts: 4109
yep - i think its proabbly the ony thing they can do. but i also think that the smarter (if there are any) guys wont get caught, so the thicko thugs who aren't masterminding anything will be incarcerated and the evil f'ers will still roam free. but i really dont think the gardai will have th guts to do something like that - they have families too and the knacker gang typs know that - i would be terrified for my children and my dh and myself if i was married to a limerick guard trynig to tackle something like that.
2009 Bride Posts: 990
We were actually only talking about this at work the other day. There was one guy who was totally in favour of it and thought it was the only solution. Personally I'm not sure, like one of the other posters said it might not be a long term solution which is what is needed really.
Delish Posts: 4176
No I think it would be just a panic knee-jerk reaction and wouldn't help the situation at all. All I can think of when I hear suggestions like that is The Guilford 4 and Bermingham 6. The gardai have to keep their heads about them and investigate crime properly within certain acceptable boundaries. Also there is a risk of gang members turning into martyrs and being glorified as a result.
LabLady Posts: 4325
[quote="Delish":13qmm08c]The gardai have to keep their heads about them and investigate crime properly within certain acceptable boundaries.[/quote:13qmm08c] to be fair you have a point but in reality they dont have the resources. they have no "real" forensics units. The criminals have a bigger arsenary than they do. They cannot get witness's due to intimidation. I mean come on, witness protection? Ok you and your immediate family are safe, your aunts, uncles and cousins etc.. will be target because that's how crazy this particular "gang" are. Its all because they have now brought it into our neighbour hoods that people want and need action, so even if its short term internment. Go ahead get what you need done is my opinion. By the way Delish, not disagreeing with you. You are correct but its sad that a country can pay over 300k on a Christmas tree instead of resources like the Gardai or the economy. But thats a whole different topic.
Delish Posts: 4176
[quote="mk-posie":1lnut208][quote="Delish":1lnut208]The gardai have to keep their heads about them and investigate crime properly within certain acceptable boundaries.[/quote:1lnut208] to be fair you have a point but in reality they dont have the resources. they have no "real" forensics units. The criminals have a bigger arsenary than they do. They cannot get witness's due to intimidation. I mean come on, witness protection? Ok you and your immediate family are safe, your aunts, uncles and cousins etc.. will be target because that's how crazy this particular "gang" are. Its all because they have now brought it into our neighbour hoods that people want and need action, so even if its short term internment. Go ahead get what you need done is my opinion. By the way Delish, not disagreeing with you. You are correct but its sad that a country can pay over 300k on a Christmas tree instead of resources like the Gardai or the economy. But thats a whole different topic.[/quote:1lnut208] I agree with you MK. My gut reaction would be no to internment and yes the gardai need a huge inflkux of cash to enable them deal with these gangs properly. If the gardai don't get the resources, it's all a waste of time and we might as well all relocate. There is no guarantee that internment would be a cheap or easy option. All those gang members know the law inside out, they would more than likely constitutionally challenge any unlawful imprisonment. It could end up costing the state a fortune.
Mrs Mia Wallace Posts: 869
[quote="Delish":2i37ybhy]There is no guarantee that internment would be a cheap or easy option. All those gang members know the law inside out, they would more than likely constitutionally challenge any unlawful imprisonment. It could end up costing the state a fortune.[/quote:2i37ybhy] Excellent point.
she Posts: 3298
No honestly I think this is a step too far. GUANTANAMO BAY anyone? Just let the feckers kill each other.........