Interview for job and Im 22 weeks pregnant - am I mad???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

soulful Posts: 1697
Hi all Im in a bit of a pickle :o0 :o0 I know there is another topic currently posted that is similar to this one but the other lady in question is 9 weeks pregnant. I applied for a job in a large multinational company 6 months ago before I found out I was pregnant. I have gone through several stages of tests etc for the position. Although I have not met with the recruiters yet they called me last week and told me my garda vetting has now gone through and I will be called for interview in the next week or two. At the 3rd stage of the process there was a web based psychesemetic test and when they rang me after it to say I had passed I told them I had found out I was pregnant. I just wanted to be honest with them and they said it will in no way affect my chances of a position. So Ill be 23 weeks pregnant tomorrow and have not worked in a long long time! 8 years to be precise! I have done admin for my father on a very part time basis and got a few pound for that but no prsi paid or contributions. Could anyone advise me on what my entitlements would be? Do I still get maternity leave??? Should I even go for the interview? I was really looking forward to getting stuck into something job wise and the wage would be great as dh is unemployed bricklayer. Any advice would be great. Oh and I have an 8 year old son at school x O:o) [url=http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/:l8rdq45g][img:l8rdq45g]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev203pr___.png[/img:l8rdq45g][/url:l8rdq45g]
Greece Posts: 1800
Hiya - go for it! Listen, jobs are few and far between at the moment, if you get it you will at least get a few months pay cheques. I dont think you will be entitled to matermnity though as you have to have worked up stamps etc but of course you would have the time off unpaid. The only thing is, I kind of think that they will not offer you the job if they know you are pregnant, they woudlnt say that obviously but it might be the case. you were right to be honest but what have you got to losse by going for the interview!
marriedLife Posts: 1881
Well if you would like some money coming in - and the possibility of going back to work after maternity leave they why not go for the interview. I used to work for a large multinational company and while I was there they hired a 5 months pregnant woman - their policy was to pay you while on maternity leave so they paid her while she was on maternity leave(minus the state benefit) - so although I do not think you will be entitled to state maternity benefit (see below what you need to qualify - you would not have enough PRSI contributions) the company if they pay maternity leave and they do not have a clause that you must be working for them for a year or something then you might get paid from the job! The fact it's a large multinational company they could well pay you your wages while on maternity leave (minus the state obviously which you wouldn't get) - so no harm in going for the interview and keeping your options open! Would you like to go back to work after the baby is born? If so then this could be a good way of doing that and also might have the bonus of the company paying maternity leave! [b:3v0pzfkb]If you are employed you must have:[/b:3v0pzfkb] At least 39 weeks PRSI paid in the 12-month period before the first day of your maternity leave [b:3v0pzfkb]Or[/b:3v0pzfkb] At least 39 weeks PRSI paid since first starting work and at least 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year or in the tax year immediately following the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2010, the relevant tax year is 2008 and the year following that is 2009. [b:3v0pzfkb]Or[/b:3v0pzfkb] At least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2010, the relevant tax year is 2008 and the year before that is 2007. [quote:3v0pzfkb]The only thing is, I kind of think that they will not offer you the job if they know you are pregnant[/quote:3v0pzfkb] Not necessarily - as I said when I worked for a large multinational they did hire a pregnant woman into my dept (plus I know of two others in different depts) - I think the bigger companies are more open to actually following the workplace discrimination laws (from my experience)
Wife09 Posts: 873
Oh go for your interview if its the job you need and want. Cant see you getting paid maternity leave but sure you never know.
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
If you've told them I can see no harm in going for it, you won't be entitled to state mat benefit as you have to have 32 weeks continuous prsi payments which u won't have by then, not sure if its for the current year or previous year but either way u won't be covered. As for if they will pay you I presume it depends on thier maternity policy and if u have to be out of ur probation period before that entitlement kicks in. I work for a multinational and know that is the case here you have to be out of your 6 month probationary period before you are entitled to anything. Best of luck and hope it all works out for you