Inverted nipples anyone?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

one of each Posts: 1277
Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has this problem and plans to breast feed? What is the process for fixing them. It must be in my genes as my mam had one inverted also? Thanks
Hopefully Soon Posts: 285
I'd love to know about this too Dec. I'm not preg (yet!) but it does cross my mind every so often as i would like to breastfeed when I'm lucky enough to have a baby. I used to have inverted nipples but over time they seem to have become more flat than inverted. Either way, there wouldn't be much there for babs to latch on to (unless it's cold!!). :-8 I'd say I'll prob ask my doc for advice when the time comes. :wv
foxglove Posts: 587
MomToEmandJ Posts: 1977
i have one inverted nipple and i breastfed for 2 weeks although ended up expressing not due to inverted nipple,babs wouldn't latch on. i used a nipple shield to help with the inverted nipple, you can buy them in mothercare.
alton Posts: 3077
I'm no expert on bf but I've read up a lot about this. First there is a difference between flat and inverted nipples and a lot of women with normal nipples find that there nipples go flat when there milk comes in. What I've read suggests that it doesn't matter that much - the baby is breast feeding not nipple feeding, and needs to take most of the aereola into his/her mouth to be latched on correctly. There are a couple of techniques that basically involve getting a good pinch of breast between your finger and thumb that help with the latch. In Holles Street I was given a kind of syringe, to help draw out the nipple just before bfing, and another recommendation was to manually express a little milk before feeding which can help too. I don't have time now, but I'll try and find some of the better articles I've found on this later and post them for you. You CAN get various devices, like avent nipplettes which you wear in your bra before you even get pregnant to draw out the nipple and, as they put it, "break the adhesions" that are holding it in and making it flat/ inverted, but after a bit of research I concluded that they were of limited use. hth
Babylon Posts: 334
Hi there. I have flat/inverted nipples and breastfed for 8 months so it's definitely possible. I didn't use any of the gadgets before the birth to prepare, but as a previous poster said, the baby basically takes a lot more than the nipple into its mouth. It did take quite a few weeks to become established and comfortable but I ended up really enjoying it :) When I was having problems in the weeks after the birth, I went to a breastfeeding support group and also asked lots of advice from other Mums at a weekly coffee morning. Best of luck!
alton Posts: 3077
sorry, couldn't find the articles that I mentioned but here are a couple of quotes[b:gxaybf6t] are you nipples flat or inverted?[/b:gxaybf6t] You can determine whether or not you have flat or inverted nipples by doing a simple "pinch" test: Gently compress your areola about an inch behind your nipple. If your nipple does not protrude or become erect, then it is considered to be flat. If your nipple inverts, retracts into the skin tissue, or becomes concave, it is considered to be inverted. True inverted or flat nipples also will not become erect when stimulated or cold. If your nipples protrude when stimulated as described above, they are not truly inverted and do not need any special treatment in order to breastfeed [b:gxaybf6t]breastfeed early and often[/b:gxaybf6t] When you have non-protruding nipples it is especially important to breastfeed early and often. In the hours following your baby's birth, a type of imprinting appears to take place. Babies who have been given the opportunity to suckle immediately following the birth seem to do better atthe breast, even if their mom's nipples do not protrude. Artificial nipples, including pacifiers can cause suck confusion and should be avoided. Get in lots of practice sessions breastfeeding in those early days while your breasts are soft and easily graspable. there are lots of different techniques that can help, and anything that helps is a good thing,but reading about all these techniques can convince you that you have a bigger problem than you do. http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/in ... pples.html The best advice is to seek out a good lactation consultant early on. hth
Mahal Posts: 86
I have inverted nipples & unfortunately although I tried hard i was advised to give my baby a bottle as the shields didnt work/ help & it was very difficult for the baby to feed. However this isnt the case for everyone but the midwifes say they advise either way when they see how the baby is getting on.