Invite to a wedding when baby will be very young

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babybambino Posts: 940
Our friends are getting married next year and we are invited, if I have the baby on my due date (I feel this is highly unlikely as it is my first) it will be almost 11 weeks old on the day of the wedding. The baby will not be invited to the wedding and I will be breastfeeding. I will be buying a manual breast pump and expressing some feeds but have I got a hope in hell of being able to express enough to go to the wedding without baby? Is it too long to leave a baby this young? The church is about an hour drive from our home and the hotel about 2 hours.
Daff Posts: 11644
it's really an individual thing and probably not something you'll be able to answer til LO gets here. DD was 11 weeks the first time I left her and it was only for 2 hours to go to local chinese as it was our wedding anniversary. I was BF too and was able to pump enough for that evening as I had a few drinks but would have found it hard at that stage to pump enough for a whole day - saying that though if you planned ahead you could. I did find it very hard to leave her at that age I have to say. Before I had her I'd never have thought I would have a problem, it's amazing how motherhood changes you
babybambino Posts: 940
I feel that way myself, I just feel it's a long time to leave such a young baby I don't want to put undue pressure on myself trying to express enough milk. Baby will be about 5 weeks old whenwe get the invitations so I might just decide then. They are more friends of my DH so he might have to go to this one alone
cosy toes Posts: 38
Hi Babybambino At our wedding one couple brought the child and her mother to baby sit. She went in and out of the room to feed the baby as she needed to and we didn't see the baby all day. Her mother just minded her. HTH CT
Sydney Bristow Posts: 185
[quote="cosy toes ":2jke1l2j]Hi Babybambino At our wedding one couple brought the child and her mother to baby sit. She went in and out of the room to feed the baby as she needed to and we didn't see the baby all day. Her mother just minded her. HTH CT[/quote:2jke1l2j] This sounds like a good idea to me. At 10'ish weeks my DD was still very unpredictable feeding-wise, and I wouldn't have had a clue how much milk to leave for a day. You would also have to pump at some stage, as you would be very uncomfortable otherwise. See how you feel at that stage, but don't feel under any pressure to go.
novice1 Posts: 276
We went to a wedding when my DS was 9wks old and I was exclusively feeding him. We didn't go to the church but went to the meal etc. i rang the hotel and arranged a suitable babysitter for a baby (mature lady) and I was able to pop in and out of our room at any stage to feed him and check that all was ok. The wedding couple didn't even know we had our baby with us until the next morning. I must say I was very nervious but all worked out perfect.
pag Posts: 633
[quote="Sydney Bristow":z6ze37j4][quote="cosy toes ":z6ze37j4]Hi Babybambino At our wedding one couple brought the child and her mother to baby sit. She went in and out of the room to feed the baby as she needed to and we didn't see the baby all day. Her mother just minded her. HTH CT[/quote:z6ze37j4] This sounds like a good idea to me. At 10'ish weeks my DD was still very unpredictable feeding-wise, and I wouldn't have had a clue how much milk to leave for a day. You would also have to pump at some stage, as you would be very uncomfortable otherwise. See how you feel at that stage, but don't feel under any pressure to go.[/quote:z6ze37j4] +1 on all of this advice. We went to three weddings after DD was born (from 12wks - 13 months) and always brought either my sister or MIL along. Meant I could feed her when I needed to and knew she was in good hands. Also meant we could enjoy the events the day after as DD was with us, we weren't rushing home to see her and it gave sis/MIL day to pamper themselves.
MRS NYEB2007 Posts: 3275
We have a family wedding when babs will be about 16 - 20 weeks, I am assuming babs will be invited but my Dad has offered his babysitting services - he isn't looking forward to first wedding without Mam so he is looking at baby as distraction as he can come and go as he pleases - I reckon he'll be pinching baby to make them cry when he feels like the off himself :-8 . Deffo think bringing a family member babysitter is the way to go - peace of mind for you knowing you will be leaving baby with someone you can trust and also feed and cuddle when you need to.
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
I would agree with other posters I would bring bub and ur mum or someone like that. You have no idea how u will be, so best not make any decisions yet, also u don't know how u or baby will take to BF (I tried with both of mine but milk didn't come in til they were both 4 weeks old and well established on bottles so was advised to leave well enough alone) See how u feel closer the time, I went to a weeding without DD1 when she was 14 weeks and left her with mum but the hotel was literally 2 mins away from the hosue so was able to run back and check her we didn't go to the service part and the B&G completely understood.
proud mamaof1 Posts: 825
Hi babybambino I am due the end of next week (all going well). My friend is getting married on 2nd Sept this year and our LO will be about 3/4 weeks old. We have replyed yes (but that could change nearer the time which she is aware off) I will be lucky as the wedding is only 10/15 mins from my parents home both for church and reception as they are going to babysit for me that day. Like yourself, I inted to try breastfeeding but will only know how things go nearer the time or on the day itself. On my own wedding day, a friends little girl was the same age as what our LO will be. She went home during the day to check on her, feed etc and it suited her as she was able to take a break at her own pace. She did this about 3/4 times during the day and she still enjoyed yourself. Each to their own but it will alll work out for you