IP Address - help needed

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrsdm Posts: 1136
Girls can anyone explain to me what an IP address is please? I am clueless when it comes to all things computer. The reason being that I have always been able to log onto wol in work. Today I tried and it there was a message from wol that said that they had placed a permanent ban on the computers IP address (i hadnt even got to the log on stage). I went to another computer and the same message. I tried a third and the same. I thought an IP address was unique to a computer but is it possible that a company has the same ip address on all computers? I have emailed admin about it but no reply yet and my head is wrecked trying to figure it out. I last logged onto WOL last monday so its only since then. Thanks for any replies in advance! :thnk Edited to say message was from wol and not the server
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
Each PC has its own IP address, but if your work changed their net settings perhaps they have updated all the PCs to reflect this? Or if all your work PCs run off a central server, the server has its own IP address too. So if a server setting was changed it may have a knock on affect on the individual PCs. I don't have a clue about these things really, but think something similar happened in our office, and server had to be rebooted.
thanks rocksie, so if someone had their ip address banned, and it was on a central server then basically all pcs are banned? there are some boring lunch breaks ahead of me if wol dont sort this out :weep
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
Really not sure... I am useless at this stuff! I know something happened our server and as a result we couldn't get into sites (now, can't remember was it all sites or just some specific ones). The server was fixed/rebooted/smacked hard by MD and it was fine again. Not sure if one PC can affect all the other PCs on the server, but the server can affect all the PCs (if that makes sense)
smartie pants Posts: 842
Your company have banned WOLs IP address by the sounds of it. As well as every PC having an IP so does every website. Do you use it a lot at work? They might be monitoring your usage.
No I can still get onto wol, thats the thing. There are some sites that they have banned, facebook for example and this is a totally different response. It lets me onto wol and wol have a message posted that a ban has been issued on my IP address. The impression i got was that it was wol that banned it not the other way around.
smartie pants Posts: 842
Oh, I totally misunderstood! That's strange alright, hopefully the admin can sort you out!
Thanks for the advice though :thnk
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
Hmmm, I'm not 100% sure but when they want to ensure a user is blocked/banned permanently from WOL they will block the IP address, so even if the WOL tries to re-register as a new user they are still blocked. Maybe someone else you work with is blocked hence everyone on the same IP address is denied access as they cannot differentiate???
Wedding Cars Ireland Posts: 1970
Hi, There is a case where several users share a common IP address. Where I live we get our wireless broadband from a transmitter, from which a common IP address is shared by anyone logged in to that transmitter. So yes, if a site blocks a particular IP address ALL the users are affected on that transmitter. Pat.