ipad question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

tilsun Posts: 4506
I am considering buying a 2nd generation iPad and would love to hear any feedback. Did anyone get the wifi only and have any regrets? I don't think the 3gis worth the extra as we have woreless at home, but maybe I'm wrong? Would hate to shell out and realise I really should have gone the extra money. Is 16gb enough for just day to day use, wouldn't be a huge movie or music person, will mainly use for internet and apps. Thanks
belcra Posts: 1097
I have wifi only and no regrets. Once I needed it for something and I have an iPhone so I just set up an hotspot from there and connected to the internet that way on the iPad. I can't remember to be honest if I bought 16 or 32 G so can't help you there. I would think it depends on how much you want to put on it. I usually only keep what I need / use on it. So - if I've watched movies I remove them etc and don't keep all my music on it.
Irish Wedding DJ Posts: 1436
Yes if you have an iPhone, you can "tether" your connection which is essentially sharing you mobile internet wirelessly, so when you need, you can have your internet on your iPad through your iPhone.. I have both 1g and 2g and they are more than sufficient in wifi.... I did see the 3rd and its pretty impressive, so Id have a good think about buying one of the other before I seen the 3... Ruairi
Had no idea about tethering, that's great. DH has an iphone but mine is an android, do you know does that work? Not sure I can justify the iPad3 Ruairi, as if I'm honest I am grasping at straws to justify the iPad2 :o0
belcra Posts: 1097
Should work with the android too - you can check that on your phone beforehand. Haven't used an android but on the iPhone you just go into settings and click on Personal Hotspot and off you go setting it up. It's really handy. Just reread your original post and if you aren't into movies etc I'd imagine the 16G is plenty.
Irish Wedding DJ Posts: 1436
Oh I don't know, I thought i'd just use it for surfing but there so diverse.. CineXPlayer for iPad is brilliant - you can get a good few films there and they are dead handy for chilling out to... I have 16GB and they have always been sufficient, if you run out of space you can always just spring clean the device with apps you don't use...
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
I :heartbeat: my iPad! Just have the wifi and never saw a need for the 3G Have the 64gb one. Have some movies and music on it but there's still loads of space on it Is there much difference in the price of the 16 and 32 gb? Is there's not that much difference, I'd go for the larger memory I got mine just for searching the web, but soon got addicted to watching movies and tv programmes on it
laney11 Posts: 141
Absolutely no regrets delighted with it still plenty of room on it.....Really glad I went with wifi only as there are so many extras that really drive the price up would never have gotten it........ There is a sd card you can buy for 29 euro If you were getting low on space . Best thing I got in a long time, you will love it. Use it for Netflix so very little space needed for that. Couldnt keep up with technology always getting better. Dont know if you have kids put you could pass it on in a couple of years if you wanted to upgrade then. Anyways the only plus I see with the third one is the camera so you would need to decide if thats important to you. You wont regret It... Just noticed your ticker your 2year old will love it too some great apps for them too.....
BusyMom Posts: 717
[quote="belcra":1jxwymn7]Should work with the android too - you can check that on your phone beforehand. Haven't used an android but on the iPhone you just go into settings and click on Personal Hotspot and off you go setting it up. It's really handy. Just reread your original post and if you aren't into movies etc I'd imagine the 16G is plenty.[/quote:1jxwymn7] I have an android (HTC Wildfire) and can tether my internet no hassle. In my phone it's in Settings, Wireless & Networks, Portable WiFi hotspot. Also LOVE my iPad2 but the graphics on the iPad3 do look amazing! Not sure of the other differences though so can't help in that area. Never regretted only having WiFi only either, we have wireless at home and in my parent's house and tether the rest of the time.
Thanks for the replies, will have a sneaky look at iPad3 and hope I don't fall in love with it before I bite the bullet and get the 2 O-O