IPhone 4 data question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Twirl Posts: 5598
Hi Ladies, i have a query with the data thats been used on an iphone. I use it at home connecting it to wifi all the time for any downloads and it is still eating through the data, i have definitely not been using the internet while not on wifi. Does anyone know whats causing this?
ShutterBug Posts: 1056
Have you something running in the background that might be using it. double click the button and it shows all "open" apps. if you hold one down and they wobble you can close them. It could be something like the gps on it but I cant imagine it would be using a whole lot of data.
Milly83 Posts: 3620
When you download an app, there is a disclaimer on the majority if not all of them that it will use background data. This is commonplace on all smartphones. You would need to disable background data on the phone. I do not know how to do this on the iPhone as I'm Android. However, the best thing to do with it is to bring it into a shop and they will show you how. The bad news is that if you disable background data on the phone, you may have to enable it to use these apps. Herein lies your problem. If you are on bill pay it would be best to get a data bundle of 1GB or less even that will only cost you a few euro a month. This will save a fortune on data costs. :wv
I dont think i have anything going on, its weird. I had gone into the O2 shop yesterday and they just said something about the app for angry birds which i dont have downloaded, then he said something about the wifi connection so i connected it properly last night and it is still using data. I am baffled but thanks for your help. Thanks sunshiny, just saw your reply, the people in O2 told me 250mb a month would be plenty, i only use the wifi anyway, i enquired just incase it wouldnt be enough and an extra 1gb is €12.99 a month which would bring my bill up to 60e a month. Think ill go back to them tonight. :wv
bobbyjoe Posts: 395
Have you got 3g on?
Milly83 Posts: 3620
250MB is what I have on the android and it does me! They will try to get you on 1gb and not tell you about the lower ones the feckers! :)
[quote="cuteasabutton":1uwpmzto]Have you got 3g on?[/quote:1uwpmzto] Yes its says that at the top of the screen, is this not right? ( ah technology :duh: )
BabasFor2012 Posts: 1594
When you are connected to your wifi it should not say 3G at the top, where the 3G would be there should be the wifi symbol. If you are connected to the wifi and you put the phone down you need to check it is connected before you start doing anything on the internet when you pick it up again.
Its says 3G or E at the moment but im not connected to any wifi, however i am only using the apps or internet when connected to wifi ( and the wifi icon is on ). I thought once i am connected to wifi it should be free and it wouldnt use any data.
bobbyjoe Posts: 395
[quote="Twirl":3k7tuepr]Its says 3G or E at the moment but im not connected to any wifi, however i am only using the apps or internet when connected to wifi ( and the wifi icon is on ). I thought once i am connected to wifi it should be free and it wouldnt use any data.[/quote:3k7tuepr] I [b:3k7tuepr]think[/b:3k7tuepr] having 3g on uses more data than having it off but i could be wrong. i know it uses more battery anyway.I normally just turn it on when surfing etc