IPod instead of DJ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sabride Posts: 250
Hi, Has anyone been to a wedding that they plugged MP3 player into speakers instead of using a DJ? I really like the idea of it, but I'm afraid that the music mightn't work too well. We're thinking of getting all the guests to pick a song with the RSVP, but even then, what if there isn't enough jump around like an eejit and have a laugh type music? Any thoughts?
chatter2cat Posts: 996
That's what we're doing, H2B is a whizz with playlists so thats his job... personal wedding DJ! Be interested to see if anyone's already done it and how it worked?
Valkstar Posts: 2747
We're doing this for background music during dinner....but have a dj for the evening. It's very hard to put a playlist together that will keep people happy all night. I'd be afraid that people would hate my taste in music :-8
suspicioususer Posts: 5
Great Idea......... In case you can't run through the venues 200 watt background system I would say bring along your pc speakers as backup and plug the ipod into them if you need too. You should get at least 50 watts sound output which will sound great for anything up to 300 people. Why would you worry about the music. Everyone will be up dancing!!! Another way to save a few bob is you could cancel your wedding band and get a live cd the band and put that on instead of having a live band. Sure isn't it the same thing? You'll save a fortune.....
chatter2cat Posts: 996
For us its less about saving a fortune and more about having our music. I have a real thing about the 'usual' playlists at weddings. I hate with a passion 'Come On Eileen' and don't want to take the risk - every DJ puts it in somewhere O:| . Luckily our band is in the family and we know the iPod will just plug into their amp. Thinking about it, friends did this two summers ago but with CDs they'd made up, worked a treat, we were still dancing at 3am ( i think - details bit hazy :hic )
chennelly Posts: 159
Well am gonna brave the general consensus here and say that I was at a wedding where they did this and neither I, H2B or most of our friends liked it. It's obviously up to every couple decide what's right for their wedding but at this particualr wedding there just seemed to be a real lack of atmospshere due to the fact that there was no live music/dj adding to the atmosphere of the evening, plus someone had to go and fiddle with the ipod ever so often. Even if the couple hadn't gone with a band and had just had a dj I think it would have added so much more to the evening. It kinda felt like we were just sitting somewhere listening to somone's ipod..., which we were... Fair enough I can understand not wanting to have Abba etc played at your wedding (I certainly don't want this and won't be having this) but any dj or band worth their salt won't play this crap if you tell them not to. We're having a swing band, followed by an electro dj, so there will most def not be any Rock The Boat etc!! At the end of the day if this is what you want to do then you definitely should, however IMHO, I don't think it's a good idea for a wedding
mrs blueeyes Posts: 992
Our band finishes around 11.30pm/12.00am. We have got together a lot of CDs, and made a playlist on the laptop that we have tested with plenty of friends and family to see what they like/dislike and modified it to suit all. We have downloaded G-Force and going to project it onto the wall in the hotel room to help provide an atmosphere. The hotel are going to allow me to try it out in the near future to see how it works, and if it doesn't work well, we have a DJ in mind. I hope the hotel have flash lighting as well to add an atmosphere. We are getting married on a Tuesday so it shouldn't be a problem to get him the DJ months in advance if it doesn't work.
Star08 Posts: 423
i think u need the dj to be able to change things a bit if its not working & help create an atmosphere, talk up the crowd & get them out dancing if they are not - but depends on numbers - ipod would work with a smaller crowd id say?
poodle Posts: 596
[quote="suspicioususer":2xdmx5bz]Great Idea......... In case you can't run through the venues 200 watt background system I would say bring along your pc speakers as backup and plug the ipod into them if you need too. You should get at least 50 watts sound output which will sound great for anything up to 300 people. Why would you worry about the music. Everyone will be up dancing!!! Another way to save a few bob is you could cancel your wedding band and get a live cd the band and put that on instead of having a live band. Sure isn't it the same thing? You'll save a fortune.....[/quote:2xdmx5bz] :o0 :o0 :o0
siobod Posts: 331
SABride I used an Ipod for part of my wedding and it worked really well but my one warning is that you should make sure people cannot see where it is otherwise people will be messing with it all night choosing music and interrupting songs - I have seen this happen a few times and it will only annoy the bride and groom and the people who chose the last song that was interrupted! :wv