Irish Don't Tell The Bride - What did u think?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jawl Posts: 8881
I thought over all it wasn't bad! Certainly not cringey. I thought they were a lovely couple. Altho her mother reminded me of my sils-2b :o0 There's no fecking way she's a 12-14, but I don't think he wanted to say her true size on camera, he seemed awkward when asked. But praise the Lord that pink dress didn't fit her, it was shocking! I've no idea how he managed it all for 10,050 though!! There was video/photographer/band, and I'd have loved if they said what they all cost, because it would have been good to get a feel for the prices, being an Irish one. I feel the UK prices vs the Irish prices, they don't compare at all. Anyway, all in all, I enjoyed it, even h2b watched it with me and I really wish there was more! I hope I'm as calm as her on my wedding day, and nothing like he was :o0
Asscher Posts: 732
I have to admit I did find it slightly cringey. There was just something with he groom that made me cringe a bit. They did come across as a nice couple though. When they were going to houses and filming them in their gardens and that I was looking at the jungle like grass thinking could you not have cut it with a camera crew coming ha ha I hear you on that pink dress. It was a bit of a shocker and would not have been complemented by her red hair. I thnk by her reaction she didn't love the dress she got either. I don't know how anyone does this by they way. I could feel myself pancking for her and thinking how all the good was getting taken out of the day for her. Especially when her mam was talking about how she imagined herself and daughter would have enjoyed doing all the planning and they would have enjoyed it.
I think the people who do it, know they could never save that much money. And it's like quick fix. That couple last night said they had poured all their money into a house, but they just wanted to be married. So it was probably a god send to them.
Asscher Posts: 732
Oh I understand their reasons for doing it. Not wanting to wait and having no debt etc but my heart went out to her a few times as In my opinion she looked a bit crestfallen on occasion. I just wonder do any of them feel robbed of the experience afterwards. Meant to add earlier he did a great job with he budget he had. He was some man for the haggling fair play to him. My DH is like that too and sometimes I nearly want to hide with shame but I never complain when we get he discount ha ha
cupcakebabe Posts: 2232
I seen this advertised and forgot last ni to watch it. I only ever watched one of the UK ones and it was just stress city for me! and it wasnt even my wedding! There is no way i could go on this show or hand over all my plans to someone else. Im waaaaayyy to much of a control freak!
LastRolo Posts: 6892
I watched it last night with OH. He couldn't believe that the groom would not of known about the type of venue she wanted or the type of dress, flowers, etc. When the groom said the brides size was 12-14 in the bridal shop - my OH was shouting at the telly that she was a size 16 - and the dress was hidious! The first dress - OMG thank god it wouldn't of fit Doireann as the second one was way nicer. Fair play to him with the haggling, although I can't believe that the hotel would of dropped their prices that much, I can imagine that they are getting some phonecalls from couples this morning demanding their rates to drop too! The MIL was a little overbearing, the grooms mam was nice - and good job she reminded the groom that he needed to get his own suits! Overall, I enjoyed it - I would definitely enjoy a full series - although I don't know if RTE could find 6/8 mad couples who would agree to do it!!
last rolo, you would always find somebody mad enough to take the freebie and sacrifice the wedding! :o0 I was screaming at the tv, no way is she a 12-14, but to be honest, I think he didn't want to say her true size on tv, fair play to him.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I find the whol concept very entertaining butin reality I would never do it and don't know anyone who would. To make €10,000 stretch for an Irish wedding would take some serious skill. I think the producers have made arrangements prior to the programme with a select amount of suppliers and venues to give the grooms a sporting chance. There is an element of strings being pulled; no way it's 100% real.
I agree, I mean Mount Wolesley came back right away and suddenly it was 3 grand cheaper, that a LOT of money! And it was cheap enough I felt for such a venue at 59 a head. I think it's probably do-able on 12 grand in the UK alright, as everything seems to be much cheaper over there. I think if you just want to get married, but aren't really into the big dress, nice cars, fairytale venue, and the whole drama of getting married etc. Then DTTB might suit.
LastRolo Posts: 6892
......... or if your not having a big wedding!! €10,000 wouldn't feed my crowd - never mind take care of everything else!!