Irish Girl Name

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

corkmarriedgirl Posts: 147
Hi Ladies, Myself and DH are really struggling to agree on a girls name. Does anyone know if there is an irish version of "Isla" or an irish way to spell it? Any recommendations of unusual irish girls names would also be appreicated!!!! O-O
corkiegirl Posts: 825
Does Eile work?
Delphinium Posts: 3027
I'm curious as to why you would you want to change it to an Irish name? It's a beautiful name as it is and as far as I am aware there is no Irish equivalent. It's a really pretty Scottish name. Irish Gaelic and Scots Gaelic are very closely related and look and spell very similarly anyway. Eile would be pronounced Ella anyway, and means Other which seems a bit strange to me and not a likely alternative.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
OK..... So I've just Googled the meaning and history of the name and it is apparently derived from the island of Islay in the Hebrides, and it just means island. So Oileán would be your nearest Irish alternative.
macattack Posts: 1617
I'm a big fan of Irish names but I do think Isla is beautiful. I wouldn't try to change it to Irish. I would use it as it is. If it ain't broke don't fix it and all that! It's a very pretty name for a little girl.