Irish mini-moon - what are your West Coast recommendations?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Morning all! I have been avoiding WOL lately, all of the "I agree O-O " spammers have really p!ssed me off... We're also gone into high gear on the wedding planning, less time for everything including WOL :o0 Anywho, meself and the very soon to be Mr Cabbage are planning a week of tranquil wandering around Connemara and the Wesht the week after our wedding. It was a trip we had planned as our first ever holiday together, but then monsieur went and broke his knee, (less than a week before our flight to Ireland :o( ) so it never happened. Anyway - please can you share your luxury hotel recommendations for Clare / Galway / Sligo / Mayo? We won't be able to afford a whole week of five-starness, but I'd like to book one or two fancy places to kick off married life in style. Thanking you!
zoesmama Posts: 2774
We have stayed in Gregan's Castle in Co. Clare and Lisloughrey Lodge in Mayo (now called The Lodge at Ashford) . Both lovely. Cahernane House Hotel in Killarney is great too if you are thinking of going that far south. Now this one is not luxury but we just love it - Renvyle House Hotel in Connemara. Have been several times and will go back. Only thing is don't go during Mid-Terms from school as they are v family friendly and run kids clubs etc but we went twice pre-kids and we just love it with or without the kids being with us.
Oh excellent suggestions Zoesmama, thanks a million!!
curlysu Posts: 811
Don't know how far north you're looking to go, but the Ice House in Ballina is fab !! Lovely rooms, all with a view over the river, great food, spa etc
paperclips Posts: 3146
Hi Cabbagehead, hope the planning is going well Check out the Ice House Really nice. Great food. Bout 15 mins drive to Enniscrone Beach. Located in Westport, fab rooms and Westport is a great spot. - We stayed here for DHs 30th Birthday and really enjoyed it. Room was lovely, and the chocolates and pastries in the room were a lovely touch. Its not far from Galway City. Nice hotel, had a nice weekend here Love this hotel and location, might be a bit expensive depending on your dates Are you signed up to Groupon/City Deals? You might be lucky and get a couple of nice hotels in their daily offers. Might suits your dates.
Some great suggestions there, thanks so much :thnk The Ice House looks faaaa-haaaa-haaaaa-bulous! Must get out the maps and plan this thing properly.
YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
Funny i was only thinkin bout you yesterday and thought as much as i hate cabbage i missed seeing you around ! Good luck with wedding and such. Definatly go to see dogs bay its gorgeous! Being from the"wesht" i should have loads of ideas for you but iv drawn a blank, leave it with me !
zoesmama Posts: 2774
Have a look at this website Also if you are thinking of Renvyle House Hotel - make sure to phone them first to confirm whether or not they have a wedding when you intend to stay. They close the Dining Room when they have a wedding and pretty much the whole hotel is taken up with wedding guests - have been to 2 weddings here so know how it goes. There food is good and good value too so if you are staying you will want to be able to eat there.
flor Posts: 1621
hi cabbagehead, if you're in galway, the G hotel is pretty plush! gorgeous decor, food in the restaurant is good; didn't try the spa, but it looks lovely. another suggestion - the mulranny park hotel ! the views from the hotel are really breathtaking! and if you were driving along the coast up from galway, the scenery is amazing. the hotel is 4* so it has a good standard of comfort etc (but it's not 5* if that's what you were specifically looking for). However, it's a popular spot for Sunday lunches, i've found teh food good there, found the staff to be extremely efficient & attentive, and there are plenty of activities in the area (cycling trails e.g.) and it also has a gym & decent sized swimming pool.
Thanks so much everyone for your links, great food for thought here! :thnk Flor, thanks SO much for the suggestion about Mulranny Park, the cycle trail idea will make my OH do this :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll You are all great and I hope the Kick-Ass Weekend Fairy visits you all O:o)