Irish sayings

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sugarandspice Posts: 2378
Just wondering if anyone knows any nice Irish sayings? Thought it'd be nice to get something Irish engraved on rings. (so obviously has to be short!)
PinkRibbons Posts: 1446
there are a few nice sayings, but unfortunately with Irish, it just doesn't condense into "5 words or less" !! we are having the following on our unity candle "ní neart go cur le chéile" (strength in unity) but another one of my favourites is: "níl aon leighis ar an ngrá ach pósadh" (the only cure for love is marriage)
Bonnybride10 Posts: 338
I like this one: Grá mo chroí is a simple but meaningful term of endearment, meaning "The Love of My Heart" :)
Delphinium Posts: 3027
but another one of my favourites is: "níl aon leighis ar an ngrá ach pósadh" (the only cure for love is marriage)[/quote] Liking this! Could be nice on the Mass Books or menus..... Any others?
mrsmayflower Posts: 227
Em....not sure if just me picking it up wrong, but I always thought the phrase "The only cure for love is marriage" had negative connotations i.e. once you get married the love goes. Maybe it's not meant to be read that way though!
PinkRibbons Posts: 1446
[quote="may-flower":8u7zzq7r]Em....not sure if just me picking it up wrong, but I always thought the phrase "The only cure for love is marriage" had negative connotations i.e. once you get married the love goes. Maybe it's not meant to be read that way though![/quote:8u7zzq7r] not at all, it's very positive, basically saying, that if you really truly love someone, the only logical thing to do is marry that person :lvs
Bonnybride10 Posts: 338
[quote="BouncyL":3tvm8w5b][quote="PinkRibbons":3tvm8w5b][quote="may-flower":3tvm8w5b]Em....not sure if just me picking it up wrong, but I always thought the phrase "The only cure for love is marriage" had negative connotations i.e. once you get married the love goes. Maybe it's not meant to be read that way though![/quote:3tvm8w5b] not at all, it's very positive, basically saying, that if you really truly love someone, the only logical thing to do is marry that person :lvs[/quote:3tvm8w5b] I would have taken it up the other way I have to say! :eek I thought it was a joke about marraige killing the romance![/quote:3tvm8w5b] +1! I always thought 'cure' meant something needed solving/fixing! I read it as a jokey way of saying the only way to get rid of that love ailment is to get married - that'll kill it!!
sugarandspice Posts: 2378
[quote="Claredy":22hzrx2s]I like this one: Grá mo chroí is a simple but meaningful term of endearment, meaning "The Love of My Heart" :)[/quote:22hzrx2s] thanks girls. really like this one, lovely. Perfect for rings methinks!
coolkat Posts: 194
we got "Mo Anam Cara" (My soul mate) engraved on the inside of our rings with our wedding date :)
coolkat Posts: 194
On our unity candle we have "Today I marry my best friend, the one I share my dreams with" in Irish. H2B is a fluent Irish speaker so he translated it. If any of you want that i'll try and find it and send it on?