Iron Levels

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

twinbambinos Posts: 3492
Hi Girls Just got iron levels checked and Dr told me im slightly anemic. My Iron count went from 12.9 at 12wks pg to 10.7 now at 20weeks. Does anyone know is this very low or just borderline? Have been told to go on iron tablets straight away yuck :hic Just wondering does anyone else have low count? Thanks girls :thnk
Trafford Posts: 463
Mine were 13.4 4 weeks ago and are now at 11.6. I was told to start taking iron tabs twice or three times a week at 13.4, but now my consultant has suggested taking them daily, now that it's come down. It's not so much that it I am an anaemic levels, but as it is going down the idea is to keep the levels topped up. He says that in pregnancy, iron doesn't get low as such, but is so diluted through the extra blood that it reads as low from a blood test. To keep the levels per volume of blood at the normal levels, then supplements are recommended.
wtb Posts: 107
I would definitely start taking them straight away. If you're feeling tired, they should start to give you a little bit more energy. I have a history of anaemia but had been well before getting pregnant and didn't need to take supplements, then I had terrible constipation throughout the pregnancy and just couldn't face taking the iron supplements as I knew it would only make things worse. I ate loads of red meat, green leafy veg, lots of fruit and managed to keep my levels at around 11.0 the whole way through which is FANTASTIC for me. My levels were 11.2 the morning I had my baby, but following the birth I lost a lot of blood and when leaving the hospital they were only at 7.6. I had to take iron twice a day then for about 4 months. The tiredness associated with having a new baby is bad enough without lacking in energy because of low iron levels, so start taking them now to build up your iron stores too.
Alwaysbroke Posts: 1140
I was told on dd1 that 12 is the normal level and once you fall below that they'll recommend a supplement because it's only going to keep falling. I took galfer and took one a day with a glass of orange juice (freshly squeezed would be best but I used Tropicana) and never had a problem with constipation!
oldlangsayne Posts: 448
My iron levels were borderline a few weeks ago so G.P. put me on Spatone which is a natural form of iron, 1 or 2 sachets to be taken daily in half a glass of juice. no side effects. Am not as tired, feel better since taking them and no constipation!
twinbambinos Posts: 3492
Thanks girls :thnk It seems to be fairly common that iron levels drop in pg alright but like you said wtb its more after babies are born that I would be afraid they would drop a good bit. Was told to start taking one daily now and hopefully things will start to improve as have been feeling very tired/dizzy/woozy last week or so which is why I went to Dr.
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
Mine was 13.3 at eight weeks and then checked at 28 weeks and was 10.4. I took iron for a month and it was 12 at about 34 or 35 weeks. They consider 11 normal for pregnant women but 12 for non pregnant women. Not sure why as you would think you would need it higher when pregnant. i haven't continued the iron after the months supply but I reckon by the time labour is over with, I will need it again. Might get them to check it again next week. We will need a decent iron level to cope with the tiredness and sleeplessness alone after delivery. I feel much better after the month of iron but glad to be finished it as it made me feel sick. I am starting to fade again now though. I think you should definitely take it for a month anyway. I am taking folic acid 5mg all through the pregnancy and that should help iron levels stay up as well but would be happier if my levels were nearer the 13 again before delivery.
Daff Posts: 11644
I read you asking this on Aug thread and actually went to check my file for you and then totally forgot - baby brain O:| on my notes it says normal level is between 11 - 14.7 so I'd start taking them. Mine were done at 16 weeks and I was 12.7 but had been taking galfer daily all along so dread to think what they would have been otherwise. My consultant last time said that Galfer is really recommended in pregnancy, Spatone isn't strong enough to really make a difference.