Iron Tablets?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

dovedro Posts: 1295
Hi Just wanted to ask if your automatically put onto iron tablets at some stage in pregnancy? It's just that my sister thought it was weird that I wasn't taking any but neither my consultant or my doctors have said anything about it to me. I'm back with the consultant next week so I'll check it with her but just wondering if everyone else was advised to take it? I really don't want to have to take it as I'm blocked enough :-8 and don't need anything to make that worse! I also feel fine so I don't think I need anything
Hopefully07 Posts: 2027
After you have you're blood work done (normally on you're first vist) when the results come back they inform you if you need to take Iron or not, mine came back fine but I was WREACKED tired, so I bought Sanatogen Multi vit + Omega 3 and I am grand on them, still tired but sure I think that's normal!
Baby on the brain Posts: 67
I wasn't and but have been taking them since 29 weeks now. Maybe ask at the next appointment for a piece of mind but think you are grand until they mention it
I had my bloods done on my first visit 10 weeks ago, I suppose I'll see what the results are next week but I do hope i don't have to take anything! Thanks girls
charli Posts: 5994
yeah its after the first bloods - i got a note from the Consultant's office saying my iron levels were low and to take one a day so you would have been notified or could still be notified after next bloods
Topolino Posts: 1659
Dovedro Did I read that right? You haven't had the results from a test 10 weeks ago? But what if you needed something and didn't know? I've been on iron since the start and have been told to continue taking them right through, but I'm a vegeatarian...
newyearbabs Posts: 686
Hi I had bloods done at 12wks and they came back fine but like you was wrecked so have been taken pregnacare since which has some iron in it. Every now and again when I relly can't cope I take spa tone for a week or so just to give me a boast gp said it was ok to do it
[quote="Topolino":4y6p6xxz]Dovedro Did I read that right? You haven't had the results from a test 10 weeks ago? But what if you needed something and didn't know? I've been on iron since the start and have been told to continue taking them right through, but I'm a vegeatarian...[/quote:4y6p6xxz] Hi Topolino No I never got any results from it. I'm going private so I got my bloods done in the consultants office and she sent them to the hospital as I got the bill for them the other day. I assumed that seen as I was never contacted that everything was ok. Does everyone else gets their results?
pricilla Posts: 1564
You can get these sachets of liquid iron, you take it in your orange juice. They are called [b:2eiquwfe]Spatone[/b:2eiquwfe]. They are very mild and you could be taking them if you feel you were low on iron.
Topolino Posts: 1659
[quote:1bjspveg] Does everyone else gets their results?[/quote:1bjspveg] I collect mine from the hospital between 3 and 7 days after I get the tests done. I get the tests every month. I'm not in Dublin though so maybe it's different. I remember reaidng about people waiting weeks for results so maybe it's the norm. I'm sure they'd let you know if anything was wrong.