Iron Tablets?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

firefly78 Posts: 312
Hi Girls, Just wondered if everyone is taking iron? I'm due the end of Jan but have not taken any iron yet and just wondered if you girls generally recommended it? Whata re the side effects of taking it besides constipation? Midwife thought I should take it but if I'm feeling ok, why mess with it?? Thanks
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
hey firelfy, My haemoglobin (iron) levels have been fine also but I'm taking Galfer every second day. I think they say that you might feel the effects AFTER the babs arrives. A friend of mine wasn't taking iron, gave birth then 2/3 weeks later she was severly anaemic. So I am taking it to prevent issues after the birth. The midwives/nurse's in Holles St have been ramming taking iron down our throat.
nea dude Posts: 749
I take Ferrum/Hausmann, they are in tablet form and are supposed to have a chocolate flavour so you don't get the aftertaste of iron. I find them very good and easy to take. I don't have side effects yet thankfully and i'm taking them 3months.
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
Firefly, I was like you originally and thought if it ain't broke don't fix it! Nurse in the hospital one day (she was a b1tch anyway!) wa going on like I was going to collapse in a heap on the floor unless I got some iron into me in the next 30seconds! My iron levels were at 10.4 so I asked her wat the normal level was - thinking it must be about 20 with all the fuss she was making! She says anywhere around 11???????????? I started taking Galfer then every second day or when I thought of it!!! Sometimes only every 3 or 4 days! Like Wedjul said it's more for after the birth when you need an extra reserve so for the last few weeks I've been taking the galfer twice a day. Don't really have any effects from it! On the other hand have heard a few people who galfer didn't agree with so it'll be trial and error to find the one that suits you but I would start taking something! Even if it's only a few times a week!
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Nurse in Rotunda said I should start taking Galfer FA between 16 - 18 weeks (rang up at 16 weeks to clarify and she said 18 weeks was fine). In the event I started taking it at 19 weeks as I couldn't find the flipping things when I needed them! Thankfully no side effects so far.