Irrational fears.......

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Winter B2B Posts: 3494
I've become really paronoid, worried, anxious etc? This is my latest phase. I want this baby so much, never wanted anything so much, I am so unbelieavably scared something is going to go wrong at this late stage. I'm worried that I don't have enough fetal movement, I'm worried I haven't put on enough weigh, I'm worried something terrible will happen...........I'm worried, I'm worried, I'm worried,....... I'm anxious that because we have started really getting ready for baby and because I am so excited that it's going to be taken from me. Tried to explain it to my Dh last night but he just thinks I'm just mad. I know it's an irrational fear but how can I get over it.......... :o( Please let me know I'm not the only one getting freaked out? O:|
Idina Posts: 1289
No you are definitely not the only one! I think ti's part and parcel of being a Mammy-mamybe it's nature's way of getting us ready for 18 years of worrying :eek :o0 Try to take a deep breath and think about all the good birth stories you have read/heard about. Yes things go wrong but it's rare enough (I know this doesn't stop us worrying) I thought I'd be different this time as it's no.2 but I'm not! Take care By the way can't believe 40 people read this and didn't reply! :eek
randomusername Posts: 2134
From any baby books I've read this is completely normal. Its such a massive change in your life that anxiety is going to play a part. There are so many stories about things going wrong but for every story we read there are hundreds if not thousands of babies arriving safely into the world. Nothing anyone says will make you feel better or take away your fears and when baby gets here they're replaced with new fears and worries but try some positive thinking. Write in a little notebook positive mantras and say them over and over to yourself. Just little things like my baby will arrive safely, my baby will be happy and healthy, I am well equipped to look after baby etc. Also while my DH tries to sympathise with my fears he just doesn't share them. He worries about when the baby is here, worries about finances, how he's going to hold this teeny tiny baby without breaking it. All valid fears for him but I think because they're not physically carrying the baby they're very removed from the fears we have about movement etc. Please come on here and have a little rant or meltdown when you're feeling bad, I find getting it all out makes me feel so much better x
babychino Posts: 634
Hi Winter B2B, You are not the only one feeling like this :lvs :lvs I have also read that anxiety & fear are common pregnancy symptoms just like tiredness & sore boobs etc etc, every woman experiences different levels of them. It's hard for DH's to understand because they don't have the same hormones as us. I have days where I'm tears from worrying, I am shocking myself with the thoughts going through my head, I won't write them as I'll probably add to your worries!!! Sounds a bit airy fairy but I like talking to baby & telling him/her that I love them & will do all I can to protect them, it makes me feel a little bit more in control. I'm also finding pregnancy yoga a great help, the relaxation techniques & breathing are very calming. Take care :action31
Ice 2 Posts: 224
Winter b2b, as the other girls have said you are not alone of this one. The fact that over 100 wollies have read your thread is testiment to that fact. I am very early days (only past 5 weeks) and with the initial excitement, there are also fears. We were ttcing over a year, and we want a wee bambino so much that I am terrifed of something happening. But I try also to focus of positive thoughts and stories and it will be so worth it when the wee one arrives. I see that you are past 31 weeks so just think that all the hard work has been done and try to relax and just let the next stage happen. Have you tried reflexology, meditation or visualisation? I know they sound very new-age, but a lot swear by them. If you check out , there is a cd which is very good for you and baby to help relax and prepare for birth. You will be fine and probably will be advising us when we are at your stage :wv
Arta1 Posts: 276
Dont worry, its totally normal to feel this way especially of its your first baby, we really dont relax until baby is in our arms and then the worrying starts all over again :o0 . I know its hard but try to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy because it will be over in a flash and youll wonder where the time has gone. Its very hard for your DH to understand your fears as well. My latest irrational fear is that im going to be upset if I have another boy (2 boys already), im so wound up about it im having nightmares and wake up panicking. My DH keeps telling me not to be stupid that ill love the baby no matter what it is, which of course I already know, but the fear of feeling any sort of dissapointment twords my baby is stressing me out big time :-8