Is a lie in counterproductive?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Smileykaz Posts: 7296
How do you feel about lie-ins? I used to really love them, relish rolling over and sleeping until 1pm or even later at the weekends. But lately I'm wondering if they're counterproductive? I usually feel sluggish after a lie in, I don't want to do anything, go anywhere. During the week I don't actually have to get up that early. 7.30am would be the absolute earliest but that's very rare, generally I get up at 8.30am for work. And I go to bed around midnight and read for a little bit..but generally I'm fast asleep by 1am and get up at 8.30am so I'm getting 7.5 hours a night, and sometimes 8.5 hours if I don't read or go to bed a little earlier. So I don't really have a need for lie in. I've no kids, don't work obscene hours, I don't drink alcohol. In the week I get 7.5 - 8.5 hours sleep a night, plenty for an adult. So I'm wondering about giving up the lie-ins at the weekend. Getting up at the same time I normally do, 8.30am. What do you think? Do any of you do this? Do you feel better for it?
Mari yay Posts: 4045
During the week I get up at 5.30, so at the weekend, half 8 is a lie in for me!! Usually I find that if I go to bed earlyish on a Fri, about 10 or 11, then I get a nice sleep on a Fri night. I never liked sleeping until 12 or 1, didn't really do it unless I was out or something and even then I felt like the day was wasted. However, now I need the lie ins. As in I desperately await them all week, and last weekend I was in bed Fri night at 10 and I slept until 12.30!!! Couldn't believe it. Last night I went to bed at 9.30. I think it's just mostly because I'm pregnant and I've such an early start during the week and a long commute so my body is begging for plenty of rest at the weekend, and for the past few weeks I haven't even done a full 5 day week, have taken holidays as I am so exhausted.
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
I think it's recommended that you keep a similar sleep pattern at the weekend as you do during the week or else it is counter productive. I get up during the week around 6.30 and would normally be up at the weekends by 7.30 at the latest. I am rarely that tired to be honest. I can't lie in really without feeling awful. To be honest the people who appear to be the ones who complain about being tired the most are ones who sleep in half the day at the weekend. I would say that I would be lucky to get 6 and half hours sleep most nights (DH is up before me so im normally awake once he is up). It's prob diferent for everyone - maybe im just lucky and dont need much sleep.
Mari Yay - see if you're up at 5.30am on a work morning and are also pregnant, I'd think you NEED a lie in! :o0 So it's not somebody like you I'm talking about. That's a very early waking time with a big commute, so I can see why you'd need the extra lie in at the weekend. I'm talking about me like...the more I go on and the shorter the weekends seem to be the more I'm thinking that I don't need a big lie-in, I'm getting plenty of sleep and my waking time of 8.30am is a very reasonable one! Big Surprise - exactly, that's it exactly. I think by staying in bed until noon I'm actually making myself more tired and sluggish and down. I did read somewhere that you should try to keep your waking time the same all week long, it kinda regulates your system and can even help with weight loss or depression and blood sugar. I'll have to look it up again cos I'm sure I read it online somewhere. I think I might try it this coming week now, maybe that's what I'll do for Lent actually. Get up at the same time everyday. Hmmmm, food for thought!
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
I NEED lots of sleep but I have always put that down to the underactive thyroid. I usually get up at around 7.30 Tuesday to Saturday and Sunday and Monday are my days off. I love a bit of a lie in on a sunday - not actually sleeping but just tucked in and dozing. This morning I stayed in bed till 11 and really enjoyed it and was full of beans for a good long walk this afternoon (shame about the bloody hailstones eh? >:o( ) But on a really lazy day I feel worse than if I got up early because my body isn't used to it. So lie ins are fine for me but I need to be doing something in the afternoon.
reine Posts: 1771
I would get about 7 hours sleep every night during the week. Having said that, I always wake about 4-5 times. Usually have to get up to go to the loo at least once! At the weekend, however, I sleep much better. I can sleep right through to about 6.30, which is great for me. I usually snooze then for a few more hours and get up between 9-10. I absolutely LOVE my bed. I find it so cosy and comfortable and never understand people who just just jump up out of their lovely warm bed (my dh being one of them!). When I was younger, I would easily sleep until 12/1pm. Think that's cause I was always out the night before though.
Mustang Sally Posts: 394
OH set the alarm for 8.30 this morning so we could "get up and enjoy our lazy, on the couch day" instead of lying in bed and wasting it. Does that make sense? It does to us anyway! We get up at 6.20am during the week so 8.30 is plenty of a lie in at the weekends. I'd feel like crap and like I wasted the day if I lay in bed til 12 even if I had nothing specific to do. I'd ditch the lie-ins Smileykaz, and may I say lucky you if you don't have to get up til 8.30! Do you have to work late in the evenings then?
weddingdiva Posts: 1349
A lie in is 9.30am for me, I love it so much on saturday mornings when I can stay in bed for 3 extra hours. I'm a firm believer that your body knows how much sleep it needs, so I'd sleep in until you wake its the lying in bed awake thats counterproductive
Mari yay Posts: 4045
Well normally when I'm not pregnant I try and get up by 9, I do have to drag husband out of bed!! I do feel like the day is wasted by lying in, I think I'd prefer to have an early night if I was tired. Normally during the week I'm in bed by 10, 10.30 at the latest, but I've been known to go to bed at 8.30 since I'm pregnant!! Even 7.30 one night!!
Mustang Sally, I work from home so have no commute. I'm a childminder and the child usually arrives around 9.30am and is collected around 5pm or 5.30pm. So it's a full day, I just don't have a commute. I worked in an office until two years ago and had a two hour commute each way. So in those days I was up at 6.20am and not home most evenings until 8pm. It is utter bliss not having to commute. Bliss!