is a trip up North really worth it>?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babs76 Posts: 1000
Myself and my DH were talking last night and were wondering if a trip up north would be a good idea - obviously we are trying to cut costs so if we thought we were making a decent saving then we would. Thinking maybe we could get our travel system up there? anyone recommend it / not recommend it?
wifin Posts: 4761
Babs 76 Still over in TTC :o( but here is a thread that was up a little while ago on this, the 2nd post is good: http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion ... p?t=225859 HTH :thnk
Toots12 Posts: 894
It is worth it, compared to prices in the republic. Having said that though, online is still cheapest of all - sites like babydaysdirect.co.uk and kiddicare.com are cheaper than any prices you'll find in the north.
Diamondz Posts: 2208
Toots12 I actually got better prices in the shops in the north than online - I recommend you go loaded with info on the online prices and as soon as I mentioned "Oh I can get that for xxx online" then the shops gave a better discount... :o)ll :o)ll I went along with my notebook and pen with all the info noted down and then shopped around and added the shop prices till I got the best deal... should mention though that I had plenty of time to trawl different shops as my parents live in the north and I'm up all the time...
Bright Flower Posts: 483
I actually found my travel system for cheaper in Dublin than up North. I called a few shops up there to check prices, but Eurobabies in Dublin had a 10% off sale and it worked out the same price/ slightly cheaper, Also felt it was handy to buy from somewhere nearby in case there are any problems and I need to go back to the shop. Other things seem to be slightly cheaper up North, but again with the 10% discount in Mothercare from the Mothercare evening, it didn't work out that different.
babyluck Posts: 764
http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion ... p?t=226479 here is a link for furniture shops up north I rang a few places that I Was recommended for buggy and a few things and found no real saving personally - was looking at the phil and teds I think once you talk to the southern retailer they will match I thought cost of petrol and hassle and after sales service etc - buying in dublin versus north was much more useful and the saving was not worth the trip though I believe that nappies etc are worth travelling for HTH
Allure Posts: 220
This time last yr it just happened I was up in Newry> One of my friends was after having a baby and I had done a collection to get her something useful for the babs. I bought a moses basket and bath set in mothercare and the stand for the moses basket in argos and paid for them with my credit card - so When I got my statment I could see how much I had spent in Euros. When I checked mothercare and argos when I was back down here I couldn't beleive how much I had saved and I hadn't really tried. it must have been a saving of 40%. So if/when i get my BFP i be head up there again :wv
Joleigh Posts: 4242
Yes! I was there today in babies r us (toys r us) in Lisburn. Got a deal for 300stg which includes cot bed, matress, cot mobile, bumper, quilt, sheets and changing mat. Also got a few other bits from the same range like curtains etc. Really happy with what I got!
babs76 Posts: 1000
Joleigh - sounds like you got a great deal - that's great, it all helps
suitcase of hopes and dreams Posts: 2932
Thats a great deal Joleigh, any idea's how long of a drive from Dublin to Lisburn?