Is anyone buying newborn sized clothing?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

beechie12 Posts: 198
Hi girls, I was at the rotunda antenatal class today. Midwife said we should have 2 or so of the newborn size vests and suits in the hospital bag. But the two shops I've looked in, Debenhams and Next, this sizes only go up to 8lbs and 7 8 respectively. Is anyone just getting up to 1 month or 0-3months only? Just confusing myself I suppose. Thanks for any advice O-O
3littlemen Posts: 999
I would buy more 0 - 3 month as there's no harm if they are a bit bigger and you'll get longer out of them. You'll get a better idea of the baby's weight as you get closer but even if they are a bit small for the babygros just put little socks over the feet part of the babygro to keep them cosy. If the arms are a little long it stops them from scratching their faces.
StellaBella Posts: 432
i bought one pack of newborn vests in dunnes... and two sleepsuits "up to 1 month" for the hospital.. my baby was 8lb 4ozs.. and she got 5 weeks out of them.
marles Posts: 1397
I've bought a few new born babygrows and vests,but more 0-1 mth vests and babygrows.The majority of the clothes I've bought are 0-3 mths. I have found the sizes in next to be pretty good. Obviously I haven't used anything yet but I'm going to get mostly 0-1 mth and 0-3 mths for the baby as it's quite big already. Tesco seem to have good value baby grows etc..
pigeonwife Posts: 3789
I bought mainly dunnes and pennys 0-3 months for DS who was 7lb 10 and they fit him perfectly. Next tend to fir bigger but are expensive for how long they get out of them although their clothes definitely last the longest wash after wash. I would say buy mainly 0 - 3. If your baby is small you can always pop out and get a few newborn bits but if you already have them and have a big baby you will have wasted the money. Although you can always return them...
Babyboomerang Posts: 543
I was in Mothercare the other day and they have Tiny Baby (up to 7 lbs) and Newborn (up to 10 or 11 lbs, can't exactly remember). I think I'd be buying a few newborn sized clothes, but nothing smaller than 10 lbs and the rest in 0-3 months. The 0-3 mths will be swimming for a while, but not for long.
Peggy Sue Posts: 638
I actually bought Dunnes newborn vests and babygros the other day. When I got home realised they are up to 7.6lbs so I will bring them back. DD was 6.10lbs but a long baby so the babygros won't fit if this baby is the same. From my experience Dunnes are the smallest fitting followed by Penneys, Next then Mothercare. As pigeonwife said they can Dunnes and Penneys are half the price!
MrsB1982 Posts: 150
my wee man is almost 8 weeks and was 7lb7oz when he was born. he's still in all newborn stuff and he's now 10lb 14oz - the next 0-3 months stuff are nowhere near ready to fit him! i hadnt bought much newborn stuff but had to buy loads, the next up to 1 month stuff is still fitting him no bother too!
Ochre Posts: 877
[quote="3littlemen":18kz7lei]I would buy more 0 - 3 month as there's no harm if they are a bit bigger and you'll get longer out of them. You'll get a better idea of the baby's weight as you get closer but even if they are a bit small for the babygros just put little socks over the feet part of the babygro to keep them cosy. If the arms are a little long it stops them from scratching their faces.[/quote:18kz7lei] Great tip on the socks, thanks 3littlemen!