is anyone planning on combining breast and formula?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

rock-n-roll-wife Posts: 6579
from the start? i am planning on breastfeeding, well at least planning on trying to, i know that sometimes it isnt possible, but thats my plan. i dont want hubs to miss out on the bonding of feeding so i was going to expess and or combine formula to give me a bit of a break, with the breastfeeding? is this something you can do? or do they recommend against it for any reason? is anyone else planning this? x
jarashow Posts: 3083
RnR I am the same as you I was hoping to express and have hubbie do some of the feeds, he would really like to. Would be interested to hear what some of the Mum's did and if it worked out for them.
thunder Posts: 110
Hi Rock N Roll Chick. I'm thinking of doing the same myself. I was reading up on it and they suggest not introducing the formula until 10 weeks, just so you're producing sufficient milk yourself. So I was thinking of pumping a bottle each day for DH to give to baby last thing at night, and then after the 10weeks introduce the formula at that time of the day. Apparently it makes them sleep better too.
Mrs Magoo Posts: 475
My SIL is doing this with her newborn - 1 week old today. She breast feeds him during the day and gives him 2 oz of formula in the evening and a top up of formula with his 11pm feed. He is a great babs feeds every fours hours and is very placid and content. So far so good. This is what I would plan to do too.
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
This is what I was planning on doing too, but I read somewhere over the weekend (a Boots brochure I think) that you shouldnt express until after 6 weeks....so I'm confused now.
thunder Posts: 110
2 of my friends had babies in january, one expressed into the bottle from the start and introduced the formula around the 6 week mark. Her baby slept great and had no problems. My other friend didn't express for a couple of weeks just breast feed and now has serious issues with the baby taking the bottle, she advised me to introduce the bottle from early on for that reason. I may have been wrong with the 10weeks introducing formula, it could have been 6 weeks.....
baby peanut Posts: 810
I really want to do it this time around. BF my DD didn't work out last time as she was very difficult to latch on and in the end I gave her a bottle on the third night. I had a section so it was even more difficult. I got a very bad vibe from the midwives for not persisting but I was in pain and DD was screaming with hunger :o( They gave me the impression that once I had given her a bottle that I couldn't keep BF. I've since found out that's not true. I really beat myself up about it :o( One of my friends BF during the day and gave formula at night and she said it worked fine for her. I would love to do the same. How could we find out more about it?
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
Thats exaactly what i plan on doing more or less as soon as she's home. DH is going to do the night feed with formula, means I know how much she'll be getting too so hopefully will encourage her to sleep. Every single one fo my friends have advised to tart bottle straight away with either BM or formula to get babs used to the teats, will be using a soother straight away too!!!! Am a bold bold mammie >:o) >:o)
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
Do you know what bottles are meant to be best for combining the 2?
darkie27 Posts: 1449
[quote="Hokey Cokey"]Do you know what bottles are meant to be best for combining the 2?[/quot Tomee tipee closer to nature are ment to be very good thats i have got and im hoping to combine both also :wv