is anyone pregnant on No 2 that had PND on No 1?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zowiebowie Posts: 300
Hi Ladies I'm just wondering if any of you is expecting your second baby after having PND when you had your first? I'm due soon and had a bit of PND after my first. I wouldn't say it was extreme compared to some cases I've heard of but it was bad enough that I was on anti depressants for a short while. So lately I've been getting really worried that its going to happen again when No 2 arrives and I just don't want to go back to feeling that way again :( I know there's nothing I can do, I'll just have to go with the flow and hope for the best but I'd love to know is there anyone in the same situation? :-8
Bm10 Posts: 296
Hi Zowiebowie, I had PND on my DS1 5 years ago, like you I wouldn't have classed it as extreme compared to others and I did have the anti Ds for 6 months as well. It took me a while to decide to ttc number 2 because of it. Fate stepped in then and we were ttc for over 2 years before I got pregnant with DS2 . I was very worried about the PND coming back, I had this feeling of "be careful what you wish for" because of the fertility treatment - I know that sounds so irrational but I can't believe I've been so lucky to have DS2 that a part of me thinks something HAS to go wrong. I had my DS2 almost two weeks ago and I have to say the PHN and my GP and the midwives were brilliant about it. The fact of the matter is that because I've had it before my chances of getting it again are higher, I also had a c-section and the fertility treatment which also ups the odds . BUT I've stopped worrying about it - I've come to the conclusion that if I get it I get. I have a lovely DH looking out for me, along with my GP and PHN and I know that if I do think I'm getting it again I'll get all the support I need. Maybe I'm being very naieve about it but so far so good. I'm sorry if this post was a bit rambling but I'm still suffering from Baby Brain lol but I hope it helps Take care Kx
originalwoowoo Posts: 867
I had PND on No 1 5 years ago, but it only kicked in when I went back to work and it all got too much. DS 2 was born 19 months ago and there was no sign of it, did nothing different, was just lucky and felt much more able to cope as I knew how to ask for help or tell DH what I was feeling. All the best
zowiebowie Posts: 300
thanks for the replies ladies. My PHN was rubbish - she never asked me how I was feeling so one day I tried to bring it up with her, started crying and she just said I'd have to talk to my GP. So made an appt with GP who said I'd have to make an appt with a councillor. Did that, started bawling again and finally got a "recommendation" from the councillor but had to go back to the GP to get the prescription!! I just felt like I had to jump through so many hoops before I got the help I needed.. Anyway, as one of you said if I get it again I get it. I have a brilliant husband, a great family and great friends. At least this time I'll spot the signs quicker and hopefully be able to act faster. Thanks again for the replies xxx