is anyone taking pregnacare and iron????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mama sugar Posts: 1387
Hi Ladies, I have been taking pregnacare all through my pregnancy but I was telling the nurse at my last apt that I was very tired and she suggested to take iron but she was not sure if I could take the pregnacare and iron on top of that...I bought spatone sachets at the start of my pregnancy but just wondering any of you taking both??
carlie Posts: 100
Hi mama sugar, im not taking both but only because pregnacare makes me feel like vomiting but I did ask the pharmacist ( before I realised pregnacare didnt agree with me) could i take pregnacare with Galfer iron tablets and she looked it up and said it was fine. Carlie
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
I'm taking nothing and feeling tired every day! I thought I would get a letter after I gave my bloods from Holles Street but nothing came in so I presume I dont really need anything if my bloods are ok,why am I so tired then :o(
I'm taking nothing and feeling tired every day! I thought I would get a letter after I gave my bloods from Holles Street but nothing came in so I presume I dont really need anything if my bloods are ok,why am I so tired then :o(
carlie Posts: 100
Hey Dolly Dora The hospital never got back to me but my GP told me to take iron from the 13th week when I finished taking folic acid as if it were standard. I have done so but did nt take for last week or two and have felt really really tired so started back on it again yesterday. Im 24 weeks. Carlie
Cowslip Posts: 761
Hi Mama Sugar, :wv I haven't been taking pregnacare but I am taking Spatone. I do know that the amount of Iron in Spatone isn't very strong and my doctor told me to take a sachet twice a day with orange juice, having not eaten or drunk anything for 45 minutes before and for 45 minutes after. I would think that if it is so mild, that taking one sachet a day on top of pregnacare couldn't do any harm, but maybe you should give your GP a quick call just to be sure. I haven't been tired at all but my iron levels were 11.7 at my last checkup and the doctor said that was borderline and I didn't want to become aneamic. I wanted to take spatone as I have had stomach problems before and don't want to take Galfer which I believe can be hard on the stomach and of course cause the dreaded constipation ! What are your iron levels like ? The midwife in the hospital thought my iron level was fine but then the doctor didn't......
[quote="carlie":3ane46m7]Hey Dolly Dora The hospital never got back to me but my GP told me to take iron from the 13th week when I finished taking folic acid as if it were standard. I have done so but did nt take for last week or two and have felt really really tired so started back on it again yesterday. Im 24 weeks. Carlie[/quote:3ane46m7] You see all this gets annoying because my GP said the Hospital will tell me if I need to take it and ive heard nothing...im afraid to take anything unless advised too by a doctor to be honest.
Cowslip Posts: 761
Dolly, My GP left it up to the hosptial as well. I have only had two hospital appointments but they checked my iron levels and told me the result straight away (they just have a little machine they put a sample of your blood into that gives an almost instant result). I started taking Spatone every second day from week 19 and also having orange juice/a vitamin C rich fruit with every meal to help absorb iron from red meat etc... I have now been told to take Spatone twice a day for the rest of the pregnancy...
mama sugar Posts: 1387
hey ladies, thanks must just go into the chemist and see if it is ok to take both she said all my bloods were fine that my iron levels were no really low but I told her I was v tired so she said to ask at the chemist! so must go down at the weekend and see if it is ok to take both. Dolly - could you ring up the hospital and ask are your blood results back that you are feeling very tired and don't know wheather you need to take iron. My doc said the hospital do not send out the results to them and as far as I know they just tell you the results at your next hospital apt but if you are very tired ring and ask no harm x
[quote="mama sugar":33sugj1r]hey ladies, thanks must just go into the chemist and see if it is ok to take both she said all my bloods were fine that my iron levels were no really low but I told her I was v tired so she said to ask at the chemist! so must go down at the weekend and see if it is ok to take both. Dolly - could you ring up the hospital and ask are your blood results back that you are feeling very tired and don't know wheather you need to take iron. My doc said the hospital do not send out the results to them and as far as I know they just tell you the results at your next hospital apt but if you are very tired ring and ask no harm x[/quote:33sugj1r] I dont have my hospital number with me but surely they can find my details by name,feck it I will ring now,im not due back unti the 25th june to see the Gyne again so I cant wait that long to find out....thanks a million and sorry if I hijacked :-8