Is anyone worried about the speeches?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

2007 bride to be Posts: 47
Have not long left to the wedding and am worried about the speeches. Firstly dont know what the best man is going to say and am seriously hoping it wont be anything inappropriate and then my dad wont tell me whats in his speech either? i suppose i should just forget about it and hope for the best?
darkie27 Posts: 1449
Not one bit my Dad has never let me down before so i doubt he is gonna start now and as for the bestman the only one he will beletting down is hinself if he says something wrong so dont worry it will be all fine xx :xxx
gerbil Posts: 3528
Don't worry! I bet your dad won't tell you because it's soppy :lvs and as for teh Best Man everyone expects their speech to be a bit funny etc I wouldn't worry about it.
maryellen Posts: 30
yes totally! although iv 10mths to go yet but my dad will be as nervous as hell and if i get a congrats outta him i will b very lucky and our best man is an immature brat! (love him like he's my H2Bs best mate) but none the less will more than likely shame me in front of my family. only consoling thing is that iv been wth my H2B since we were 17/18 and in fairness what cud he hav done that bad before i met him...well HOPEFULLY not much as he wud hav been v.young! :ooh :ooh :ooh
anonymousbridetobe Posts: 1563
Brideofthedecade Posts: 587
I AM!!! My dad is lovely but in bad health and has an unfortunate tendency to now tell really inappropriate stories, usually of a sexual nature. He's prone to slapping women on the bum and I'm afraid he's going to start on FMIL!!! God love him, it's all to do with his illness but I'm still worried... :eek
TokenMale Posts: 6845
Folks, there are various aspects of the day that you have no control over, and that won't reflect on you in any way if they go wrong. Speeches are one example. Ultimately, you can't do anything much about it, so you're better off not worrying too much. I've been at loads of weddings, seen loads of crap speeches (most of them, to be honest) and it doesn't really matter a sh!te. I've never seen anyone do anything really completely wildly inappropriate. It'll all be fine.
Brideofthedecade Posts: 587
[quote="TokenMale":2tid9nst]Folks, there are various aspects of the day that you have no control over, and that won't reflect on you in any way if they go wrong. Speeches are one example. Ultimately, you can't do anything much about it, so you're better off not worrying too much. I've been at loads of weddings, seen loads of crap speeches (most of them, to be honest) and it doesn't really matter a sh!te. I've never seen anyone do anything really completely wildly inappropriate. It'll all be fine.[/quote:2tid9nst] My dad's speech might get me a quick divorce :o0
TokenMale Posts: 6845
[quote="Brideofthedecade":d5vex6dq] My dad's speech might get me a quick divorce :o0[/quote:d5vex6dq] Ah. I forgot about those skeletons. I take back what I said!
Jackaroo Posts: 182
I feel for you cos I was up the walls about the best man's speech, but it turned out to be great speech. Can you speak to hubby or better still best man? The normally know it means business when it comes from the bride herself. Tell him its way more important that his speech is appropriate than funny. Just once he compliments and thanks all the people he's meant to than its fine. Unfortunately some best men see the speech as an opportunity for self promotion i.e I'm so witty rather than a responsibility entrusted to them by the bride & groom. That was my worry but thank god it turned out to be fine, but to be honest I made my feelings ver clear well in advance. I even said it to his mother and sis (now my in-laws) much to their disgust I'm sure but I didn't care!