Is cheating worse...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
When your married? Say if you were in a long term relationship and one partner cheated would it not be as bad as if it happened when the couple were married? Just some thing I have been pondering today. Has nothing to do with DH being in Ibiza I swear :o0 :o0 :o0
PrettyWoman Posts: 1233
I think its the same tbh. I'm with my h2b nearly 5 years and tbh we feel as if we are married as in we have the house and we know we will be together for the rest of our lives (fingers crossed). We are just waiting to get that piece of paper but we already are as committed as a married couple. I think I would feel the same whether married or not Now if we were going out for say 1 year or so and still hadn't really decided if the relationship was "the one" and he cheated then I don't think it would be as bad (but I would still be gutted and would kill him). But we made our commitment quite early on in our relationship when we bought our house so we both knew we were both very serious and would eventually lead to marriage.
bridesmaidzilla Posts: 1859
I think so anyway, purely because as a couple you have declared yourselves as being 'off the market' so to speak in front of family and friends. Of course, its always horrible, but i do think the marriage part makes it worse.
Leftbank Posts: 2395
Cheating is cheating at the end of the day but if i was married i think devastion wouldnt even come close to how i would feel, to think he could cheat after taking the vows..
SpringChicken Posts: 666
Equally devastating whether you're married to each other or not I think the consequences of cheating would be different though. It may take more to break up a marriage than a relationship.
louthgal Posts: 308
I was in a long term relationship and was cheated on and i was devasted i mean my heart literally broke. I dont think its worse if your married the only difference is if you split up then with marriage there will be legal stuff whereas with a relationship you can just walk away no messing. The relationship i was in i was so in love and couldve easily spent my life with him and it took me a while before i went out with anybody else and then im met h2b and couldnt be happier but its equally devasting no matter what.
twinbambinos Posts: 3492
I think both are so wrong however being married I now think cheating when married is worse as you are betraying the vows you took to stay faithful on your wedding day. I think it takes more of a decision to cheat if you are married (if that makes sense)as you have more to loose and you are breaking vows! now in saying that I dont think my pain if my hubbie cheated on me would be any worse than someone else's pain who was in a longterm relationship just becuase I am married..I just think because we proclaimed vows to each other to stay faithful till death do us part that it just makes it more serious to break
yippeeme Posts: 2139
[quote="PrettyWoman":35rfs7jf]I think its the same tbh. I'm with my h2b nearly 5 years and tbh we feel as if we are married as in we have the house and we know we will be together for the rest of our lives (fingers crossed). We are just waiting to get that piece of paper but we already are as committed as a married couple. I think I would feel the same whether married or not Now if we were going out for say 1 year or so and still hadn't really decided if the relationship was "the one" and he cheated then I don't think it would be as bad (but I would still be gutted and would kill him). But we made our commitment quite early on in our relationship when we bought our house so we both knew we were both very serious and would eventually lead to marriage.[/quote:35rfs7jf] +1 Exactly what PW said, u took the words right outa my mouth! :)
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
Cheating is wrong, no matter when it happens but think when you're married its that bit worse. You stood in front of everyone and said vows that you would be faithful to each other as long as you both shall live etc and signed legal documents to say you were committing to each other. We're not married yet (17 days to go!) and if H2b cheated on me I'd be devastated! It'd be no consolation that we weren't married. I know total contradiction to what I said above!! Can't believe the amount of celeb men who have cheated recently - Tiger Woods, Ashley Cole, John Terry, Ronan Keating, Jesse James, Mark Owen. Is it that the crazy amount of money they earn makes them feel invincible and they know they can pretty much to an extent buy silence.
CroB2B2011 Posts: 399
I don't think it's any worse when married. I think it's worse when you have kids though, whether married or unmarried.