Is Guinness good for you?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Following on from a different post,what are your views on Guinness?
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Yes for iron. Personally i think ill try a couple of glasses in a few weeks and see does it make a difference to my energy levels.
I am thinking the same but I read that its only a myth about the iron in it..is this true...would anyone like to take the challenge and ring Guinness'es for the true facts????????
Tigletts Posts: 2904
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3266819.stm here you go missus. It's still got alcohol in it so not advised medically anymore. It's like they say red wine is good for circulation too. Having said that, I think if you fancy one go for it !
[b:1q0fxcds]Pregnant women and nursing mothers were at one stage advised to drink Guinness - the present advice is against this[/b:1q0fxcds] Ah feck...there's always something O:|
charli Posts: 5994
never did my mam any harm on the 4 of us - she said she had a few halves during each pregnancy!
Higgs particle Posts: 4557
Well it depends - in my sisters case she couldn't absorb iron - always been a problem but got worse when she was pregnant, so the doctor advised her to drink a glass or two a week (if even that) I think the way she and he looked at it was, the amount of damage that small amount of achol would do vs the benfit of the iron
Sphynx Posts: 6795
I wouldn't purposely drink it for iron but if you were going to drink anything at all, I'd say stick to Guinness or red wine. I've had a small glass of red wine with a big dinner about 5 times now and felt really guilty but it does really relax me when I'm stressed, which can't be a bad thing. In an ideal world I suppose I wouldn't touch a drop alcohol for the full 9 months (or eat coleslaw or drink coffee).
Elliecat Posts: 2725
Slightly off the main topic, but on alcohol in general. I bought an 'alcohol free' wine the other day called Eisberg, and while its not particularly like proper wine, its not bad. However, after I'd had a couple of glasses, I noticed that it says in smaller writing on the label that 'the wine contains no more than 0.05% alcohol'. Now do you think its ok to drink this - my thoughts were that this is probably a warning they have to put onto it as they actually remove the alcohol after the wine is made, so there may be trace elements in it. I still felt a bit guilty having had two fairly big glasses though. What do you all think?
I hate the guilt O:| Its so horrible its always the things we want or crave...grrrr to GUILT :o(
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8