Is Guinness good for you? - Page 3

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Dora Posts: 14987
So funny Muffin,never heard of the false tan one myself lucky I dont wear it :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 Oh Smoked Salmon is another which Ive eaten on occasion,ooops....damn I miss a runny egg!
pattie Posts: 2379
I was very sceptical about all the rules about what you can't eat till I was talking to my boss the other day. I was complaining about not being able to eat meat while on holiday in France because "very well done" over there seems to translate as blood rare! He started telling me about a guy in another department whose wife had a baby last year and the baby had toxoplasmosis and now has to have weekly injections and has had brain scans to make sure his brain wasn't affected. Seems the only thing they could put it down to was eating rare meat.
[quote="Diotima":bod5ognw]I was very sceptical about all the rules about what you can't eat till I was talking to my boss the other day. I was complaining about not being able to eat meat while on holiday in France because "very well done" over there seems to translate as blood rare! He started telling me about a guy in another department whose wife had a baby last year and the baby had toxoplasmosis and now has to have weekly injections and has had brain scans to make sure his brain wasn't affected. Seems the only thing they could put it down to was eating rare meat.[/quote:bod5ognw] Was the mother French? I heard they have to have an injection as their foods are uncooked and it prevents this happening,well in most cases
I don't know Dora, I was thinking she might be foreign. I read about 70% of people already are immune to toxoplasmosis so maybe she thought she was in this group. That injection would be great, I would love some non-cremated meat for a change!
I don't eat red meat at all,im not a veggie though although sometimes I wonder why I don't try it,mainly eat Chicken!
Chicken Licken Posts: 873
When I was in the early stages of pregnancy I remember sitting down with my mum and whinging about all the foods I wasn't allowed and the things I wasn't able to do. She told me to cop myself on and think about it. She had eight of us, was a stay at home mum and said there was plenty of washing and lifting to do but you know your own limits. She told me that what she went by was: Meat well cooked No pate No soft cheese She drank a bottle of guinness three times a week Everything in moderation was what she said and I'm happy to go by this.
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
The trouble with so many "rules" is that you don't know which ones to ignore! You can catch toxoplasmosis from vegetables as well as meat and also from cat faeces. It is only a problem if you are exposed to it for the first time while pregnant and most of us are immune. If that is the reason given for telling us not to eat rare meat while pregnant I would rather they tested us first to confirm that we are not already immune. Or maybe give us the injection as a matter of routine like in France. The reason those rules without any real scientific basis make me angry is that I think they make women feel responsible for their baby's health in a way that is unfair. If, God forbid, a child is born with problems or is miscarried it is highly unlikely to be the mother's fault. And all this fuss stresses women who are expecting and that has been proven to be bad for the baby! And the rules are not specific - carefully prepared rare steak that is seared on each side does not, to my knowledge, put you at any real risk of salmonella as the meat that was exposed to the air is cooked. Rare burgers or other things made with ground meat do.
[quote="Avril07":1fh79u8d]The trouble with so many "rules" is that you don't know which ones to ignore! You can catch toxoplasmosis from vegetables as well as meat and also from cat faeces. It is only a problem if you are exposed to it for the first time while pregnant and most of us are immune. If that is the reason given for telling us not to eat rare meat while pregnant I would rather they tested us first to confirm that we are not already immune. Or maybe give us the injection as a matter of routine like in France. The reason those rules without any real scientific basis make me angry is that I think they make women feel responsible for their baby's health in a way that is unfair. If, God forbid, a child is born with problems or is miscarried it is highly unlikely to be the mother's fault. And all this fuss stresses women who are expecting and that has been proven to be bad for the baby! And the rules are not specific - carefully prepared rare steak that is seared on each side does not, to my knowledge, put you at any real risk of salmonella as the meat that was exposed to the air is cooked. Rare burgers or other things made with ground meat do.[/quote:1fh79u8d] I totally agree with you Avril, the rules are so general and I would rather be tested first to see if I was immune to toxoplasmosis already. The rules cause alot of worry, much of which could be needless. Loads of us have eaten things in early pregnancy and later found out we should have avoided them and then have to try and not become stressed out and worried about it because that's bad too! On the rare steak, searing it both sides only kills the e-coli bacteria which lives on the surface of the meat, as far as I know the toxoplasmosis is found not just on the surface of the meat but right through it.
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
I was thinking of food poisoning to be honest I have been eating rare meat all my life, if I was going to catch toxoplasmosis I would probably have done so by now. So I think I will ignore that rule
ros Posts: 749
"I'll probably get slated for this but, I drink coffee in the morning, I have my boiled eggs at the weekend (harder than usual) I eat nuts, sometimes wake up on my back, highlight my hair every six weeks, and have my glass of wine or guinness most weekends. AND I don't feel guilty. I think a lot of this is OTT but I'm probably just a very very bad M2B" Whoever wrote this sounds like about the most well balanced person around here! I think this cutting stuff out business is complete paranoia and the chances are SO slim that in fairness, you'd have more chance of falling down your stairs at home than getting something from any of this stuff. I drink 2 glasses of wine (small glasses) with my saturday evening meal. I LOVE nuts. I often lie on my back. I eat cheeses, probably some unpasteurised I hate rare meat so I avoid it but if I like it, well I'd treat myself every once in a while... maybe. And I know all of hte above might seem outrageous to you, but it's not, it's perfectly normal. ALSO, I"m a member of magicmum, and the women in my babygroup are all very supportive and would never criticise any of my actions, so whoever made that silly remark - sorry but you're wrong! Sorry to come across narky, it's not my intention and it's probably my hormones but I just find that us Irish are becoming more and more like the Americans in our attitudes : total paranoia and fear and needless guilt! Okay, I"m back to normal now. :wv