Is Guinness good for you? - Page 6

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Tigletts Posts: 2904
[quote="Avril07":3hogjs54]Thanks girls, it hit a nerve with me because I have a sister with cerebral palsy. My Mam did nothing different while she was expecting her and if anyone suggests her problems are my Mam's fault for enjoying a glass of wine or ate an improperly cooked carrot I will hunt them down and slap them silly! Sometimes things like that just happen. Wish I could somehow unread that article though. Poisonous stuff.[/quote:3hogjs54] I don't blame you pet.
bellabella Posts: 2750
I'd beeen ttcing forever and a day went home to Ireland in October and got a bfp and as far as i'm concerned it was the black stuff that helped (well and a bit of white too) :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
Tigletts Posts: 2904
[quote="bellabella":o554s92j]I'd beeen ttcing forever and a day went home to Ireland in October and got a bfp and as far as i'm concerned it was the black stuff that helped (well and a bit of white too) :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:[/quote:o554s92j] :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :wv :thnk
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
[quote="bellabella":p9bhwveh]I'd beeen ttcing forever and a day went home to Ireland in October and got a bfp and as far as i'm concerned it was the black stuff that helped (well and a bit of white too) :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:[/quote:p9bhwveh] I'll be giving that a go so :xxx
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Bella you're not alone there!
arib Posts: 499
Look, I didn't write the article and I am certainly not trying to be nasty or blame people. Avril, the article is ultimately about diagnosing things that may not have been diagnosed before and therefore helping kids. And hopefully preventing harm rather than blaming people. I posted that article because frankly, reading it was a wake up call for me, and I thought it might do the same for other people. In fact you are the one who is focusing on blaming mothers. Have you read the article? I can also quote from it "Diagnosis is not a means to attribute blame. " "In the US, naturally, they have responded to the situation with zeal: they want to criminalize and imprison mothers who drink during pregnancy. For God’s sake, let’s not get into this here. " "Before anyone is tempted to let men off the hook, and given the damage we know that alcohol can do to a developing foetus, there has surely got to be a corresponding effect on male sperm –half of the genetic equation. Let’s not turn this issue into another form of woman and especially mother bashing. " I would prefer not to focus on blaming mothers or fathers even, as you are, and instead seriously think about whether I would consider drinking at all during pregnancy. I'm amazed at the angry reaction - as if the very idea that alcohol harms unborn babies is complete rubbish! Now that is pseudo science. I'm sure there'll be a slating for what I've posted which is unfair you know - I certainly amn't blaming anyone for anything. It's just an article.
ros Posts: 749
Arib, that's fair play to you and your views on this, and for me, it's not about the fact that alcohol is "banned" during pregnancy, it's more about the fact that if a mother to be does a number of things that she is demonised and there is the implication that she is a bad m2b. I feel that today's society has been westernised to the point of paranoia. In the US, fear prevails throughout society - let's not let this happen here too, where I always loved the fact that Irish people are more down to earth and have a bit more common sense. I thought the article was a load of crap really, even though it was extremely articulate and intelligently written. But there really wasn't much of a scientific basis behind any of the findings and philosophies. The British government and probably the Irish government also, since it usually follows suit, have said that alcohol should not be taken at all during pregnancy, BUT it also says that there is NO scientific evidence to back this up. They are basically covering their asses and use the umbrella rule as a lot of women just can't stop at one drink, so they are seen to be better off without altogether. If this is true, and especially in pregnancy, then I agree with the rule. But MOST responsible, caring mothers/mothers to be, will REALISE that anything potentially toxic can be harmful to her baby is to be avoided. Ah this is getting a wee bit tired now. I think we all got our points across. I just cannot stand scare mongering. Not you Arib, but the ARTICLE.
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
Arib, I am a scientist and I am used to reading articles in various academic journals. Maybe that is why I could see straight away that piece you linked to is a load of scaremongering bull sh ite with no basis in evidence. That it was clearly written by an intelligent person makes it all the more nasty. I don't know what the agenda is, but the style of writing is similar to that of the pamphlets you occasionally used to get walking past the GPO on O'Connell St, it starts out saying that mothers should not be blamed and then proceeds to do just that. If you've not read the article please don't read this quote: [size=59:24yhx891][quote:24yhx891]It’s incredibly painful to think that you may have been the cause of your child’s disability – that it was entirely avoidable. The thought of their lives, blighted and disadvantaged for such a reason is awful to bear - little that could make a parent feel worse. Every time they see their child they will be reminded of it – every resulting difficulty for the rest of his or her life will be there to reinforce the feeling, to say nothing of the child’s own difficulties and frustrations. The trouble and worry caused to other people – siblings, friends, other family and the community will haunt parents too. If you don’t have children affected by learning disability then it is worth looking into that bleak place and resolving never to put yourself or any future child you may have at the least risk of ending up there. [/quote:24yhx891][/size:24yhx891]
clucky Posts: 26471
[quote="Pricilla":iimzpyip][quote="Sphynx":iimzpyip]I take a lot of it with a pinch of salt [/quote:iimzpyip] [b:iimzpyip]Sorry Sphynx, no salt and certainly no pinching, you are PREGNANT![/b:iimzpyip][/quote:iimzpyip] :o0 :o0 :o0
Sphynx Posts: 6795
[quote="Clucky":3l5t7lcw][quote="Pricilla":3l5t7lcw][quote="Sphynx":3l5t7lcw]I take a lot of it with a pinch of salt [/quote:3l5t7lcw] [b:3l5t7lcw]Sorry Sphynx, no salt and certainly no pinching, you are PREGNANT![/b:3l5t7lcw][/quote:3l5t7lcw] :o0 :o0 :o0[/quote:3l5t7lcw] Pricilla I totally missed that comment before! :o0 :o0 :o0 God you're right - must throw the salt out asap and stop the pinching!!! It was sea salt thought - maybe that's ok? :o0