Is Guinness good for you? - Page 8

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sphynx Posts: 6795
Here's another article written more from another point of view. I found it very interesting, esp. how "unscientific" a lot of the advice out there is re. drinking alcohol and caffeine and about listeria (she calls it "listeria hysteria"!). "In conclusion Despite having got yourself into a spot of bother, pregnant women, you are still in the possession of adult judgment, and you are still allowed to use it. If the official advice sounds stringent to the point of insanity, examine it more closely - you aren't just a selfish person, looking for loopholes for your own sorry enjoyment. Try to remember, when the advice turns out to be nonsense, that not everyone has evil motives: some people will give you bad advice because they are stupid or ill-informed. Others will give you bad advice because, without even realising it, they have a yen to bring the business of procreation under closer central control. They just don't trust you. But then, why should they? You are an absurd shape and you keep crying."
pattie Posts: 2379
That's a great article alright Sphynx, a real antidote to all the scare-mongering.
Tedsters Posts: 1688
:hic :hic :hic :hic :hic :hic :hic
Skippy Posts: 1834
[b:im4uyhdk][quote:im4uyhdk] It is not the case at all, as many people believe, that the mother’s own liver and organs are filtering alcohol from the baby’s bloodstream [/b:im4uyhdk]– it goes directly to the baby within minutes in the same strength that it circulates in the mothers bloodstream[/quote:im4uyhdk] I used to believe that too, until I heard that fact on TV over here a few months back. I was all for the odd glass of alcohol during pregnancy but not after I heard that. Now how they know for sure that the babies blood alcohol is the same as the mums when she has a drink, I don't know, becuase I asked my Dr about it. She said they have never done scientific tests on pregnant women and they never will. She said we will never know for sure if drinking, even very small amounts, during pregnancy is safe [quote:im4uyhdk]or not.[/quote:im4uyhdk]. But all I know is that I have always felt the effects of even one glass of wine or one short or glass of beer, so I hate the idea of my baby feeling the effects too.[quote:im4uyhdk] If[/quote:im4uyhdk] that is what does happen. So for me staying away completley was the only way to avoid the bloody guilt! But I have just had goats cheese on toast and I had pepporoni last week, and I know a pregnant women who would have half a glass of shiraz before she would even look at pepperoni. But I drank at least 3 bottles of wine between when I ovulated and got a BFP. That's in the space of 8 days. Total binge.........so if there is damage to be done then it's already been done to my poor baby. But if I had known about the above fact I would have had a lot [i:im4uyhdk]less [/i:im4uyhdk]and not be so worried now. And I really wish I had heard that fact and I think if there is any potential of risk then women need to given the information on it to make [i:im4uyhdk]their own informed decisions[/i:im4uyhdk]. That's what they're doing over here anyways.
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
[quote="Skippy":25ww9peo][b:25ww9peo][quote:25ww9peo] It is not the case at all, as many people believe, that the mother’s own liver and organs are filtering alcohol from the baby’s bloodstream [/b:25ww9peo]– it goes directly to the baby within minutes in the same strength that it circulates in the mothers bloodstream[/quote:25ww9peo] [/quote:25ww9peo] That was one of the things that rang alarm bells for me reading that article - the baby can have a different blood type so there is normally no mixing of the blood, substances in the mothers bloodstream reach the baby by crossing the placenta. I just spent a while googling trying to find a source for that piece of info, but all I could find as a potential source was various propaganda from US based nut jobs. That does not mean of course, that it is not true - just that we don't know. I wish we were properly informed of the risks and mechanisms so we could make sensible choices. [quote="Skippy":25ww9peo] But I drank at least 3 bottles of wine between when I ovulated and got a BFP. That's in the space of 8 days. Total binge.........so if there is damage to be done then it's already been done to my poor baby. But if I had known about the above fact I would have had a lot [i:25ww9peo]less [/i:25ww9peo]and not be so worried now. And I really wish I had heard that fact and I think if there is any potential of risk then women need to given the information on it to make [i:25ww9peo]their own informed decisions[/i:25ww9peo]. [/quote:25ww9peo] I totally understand you deciding not to drink based on the info that is available - I am not sure what I would do myself to be honest. But please stop worrying about those three bottles of wine over 8 days! First off that is not a lot to some people, it is probably well within the reccomended limits in most countries. Secondly, you can get a bfp only after implantation. Before implantation, my understanding is that what you drink does not affect the baby. I have been drinking as much as usual while on the two week wait, and so would love if anyone could advise whether this is safe? And lastly, as your child grows up they will most likely have some kind of problems at some point and they will probably do things you won't like. You will drive yourself crazy if you keep blaming yourself and wondering if it was that pepperoni you ate while pg, or the controlled crying technique, or the chemical laden fruit shoot Granny gave him that is to blame!
*Muffin* Posts: 7243
[quote="Bumpalicious":25jx1k73]The lucozade thing is definitely not right, they give you this in the hospital if they need to wake baby up..[/quote:25jx1k73] I picked it up from a thread that Beanies Girl wrote in here that she was advised not to drink it. Everything that I quoted was from WOL, when I was pregnant, I avoided alcohol, that was the only thing I was told would not be advised.
Skippy Posts: 1834
[quote:syn8el1n][quote:syn8el1n]But please stop worrying about those three bottles of wine over 8 days! First off that is not a lot to some people, it is probably well within the reccomended limits in most countries. [/quo[/quote:syn8el1n][/quote:syn8el1n] Ha ha, it's certainly not a lot for me either :o0 :o0 No, I do think about it from time to time, and I've decided the next time we go for it I am not going to drink on the 2WW, there is too much guilt involved. But I also drank lucozade when I had the MS, it was one of the few things I could stomach! I'm even planning on having some with me for the labour as an energy boost. Sure it has to be good for you, it's got that lovely orange glow of it :o0 :o0
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Well I sat down to the guinness and could only stomach half of it :hic sorry buts its VILE,I will do without it whether its good for you or not :o0