Is induction possible????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Snugglebug Posts: 10
Hi, I was at consultant in HS today (not my usual consultant) and have been booked in for a section a week after my due date if i dont go myself.....i really dont want a section, i was hoping for a vbac as i had a emergency section on my first. She never offered induction, possibly because baby's head isnt engaged, just a bit confused and nervous if my only option is a section if i go over, dont know why i wasnt offered an induction aswell??? Does anyone know a reason why i wouldnt be eligible for induction?? Thanks :wv
draiocht Posts: 483
I dont have any answer to your question, but it does seem odd that he didnt even mention and induction. I suppose you could do all the usual things to help to start labour naturally, so you dont go over and can avoid the section. I know acupuncture from 36 wks onwards- weekly treatments help your body to be physically and emotionally ready for the task in hand. and closer to the time you could do sessions for induction specifically, not the usual done thing, unless you have been scheduled for an induction, but really section/induction- its still scheduled, so an acupuncturist should treat you. If not so happy with needles then Reflexology would also be very helpful. I would question the dr, and ask why you are automatically put down for a section, as its not what you were expecting. Why do doctors do these things and not even explain themselves, its your birth after all >:o( But if you get no where with dr, then my suggestions above may be the way to go. There are many threads on natural induction methods on this site. Good luck with whatever happens.
fizzyduck Posts: 278
I'm not too sure about this so anyone else reading feel free to correct me. I think induction in terms of the gel pessary carries risk of scar rupture so this would not be an option. I do think breaking of waters is an option as a form of induction but this can only take place if you are 1 or 2 cm dilated and cervix is favourable. Like I said I'm no expert but this is how I understand it to be
Idina Posts: 1289
You can't have an induction after you have had a section-I'm surprised none of your doctors mentioned this. I was told immediately by my gp and consultant. Sorry :-(
Thanks all, [quote="Idina":28kkbd4v]You can't have an induction after you have had a section-I'm surprised none of your doctors mentioned this. I was told immediately by my gp and consultant. Sorry :-([/quote:28kkbd4v] Nobody seems to tell me anything!! maybe i dont ask enough questions.... Think i'll get walking more etc. to try n get things moving as i only have 12 days untill the section date :ooh fingers crossed i will go myself before then. Thanks again
MrsMoneypenny Posts: 783
Waiting4no2 is right. I had emergency section on dd 15 months ago. I will be induced on Monday if I don't go myself. The induction will be if cervix is favourable then they'll try to break waters. Gel will not be used as waiting said due to ruptures of scar etc. Pretty much I'll be on a clock from there and if not progressing according to time (no pressure eh??!!) then I will be sectioned!! Have a chat with your cons even oh the phone to get clarity. If a vbac is what you want then follow ip with it. Hope it all goes the way you want it to.
Idina Posts: 1289
Sorry I should have said induction using gel etc. I was told my waters can be broken but only if I'm ready to go anyway.
sparklybabe Posts: 3353
if you are one or two cm dilated then you can have your membranes ruptured and get induced that way i think you should ask you consultant for this option rather then just a straight cs if thats what you want. you cant be induced with the gel coz of risk of rupture. rem hun your body your rules...dont let em fob you off
GentleBirth Posts: 750
[quote="sparklybabe":kk9b0tgm]if you are one or two cm dilated then you can have your membranes ruptured and get induced that way i think you should ask you consultant for this option rather then just a straight cs if thats what you want. you cant be induced with the gel coz of risk of rupture. rem hun your body your rules...dont let em fob you off[/quote:kk9b0tgm] Yep - ask about other options and see how you feel. I'd love to say that VBAC mums are never induced with gel but it does happen and is definitely not recommended as it puts you and baby at risk of weakening the scar.....even pitocin is used to help vbac mums along in some units so it's worth doing your homework and understanding all of the pros/cons of each decision. Hope things go well for you!! Tracy
Thanks everyone, I am seeing my consultant on monday so i have made a list of questions to ask him....he won't know what's hit him :yelrotflmaosmilie: I get more answers on here than i do at the visits!!! :)