Is it ok to cash cheques (gifts) ahead of the wedding?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

gillette Posts: 1803
One month to go and some of our guests have sent us cheques as gifts. Is it ok to cash them now? It would be useful to have the money in the joint account, plus I'd be worried I'd lose them over the next while. From a guest perspective, I always prefer if people cash cheques quickly so I don't have to keep money set aside in the account but at the same time, I can see that some people might think it's grasping to cash them before the event. All and any advice welcome!
buzzybride Posts: 78
I'd say it is ok to cash them now and it would be safer than leaving the cheques un lodged.....
cupcakebabe Posts: 2232
yeah we lodged out cheques as we got them. Like you i always prefer if i write a cheque that its lodged right away so i dont have to keep holding the money in the account.
sinead266 Posts: 914
Hi im sure they would want you to cash them in case they spend the money and the cheque bounces, they wouldnt have given it to you to hold on to till after the wedding everybody knows that you need all the money you can get in the last few weeks coming up to your wedding with all the stuff you have to pay off etc
micksmrs Posts: 931
Go ahead and lodge them, the last thing you want is to have a hoard of cheques/cash hanging around. They will be very helpful for paying for things. The people who gave them to you obviously want to "have it out of the way" so they dont have to worry about carrying a card/cash on the day and as does sometimes happen the worry of wondering about whether or not you recieved it.
soulful Posts: 1697
Yeah I would definately go and lodge/cash the cheques. It is much safer to do so now instead of waiting 1 month and having cheques lying around xx
gillette Posts: 1803
Ah, that's brilliant wollies, thanks. That's what we both thought but then I had a panic (another one!). If anyone disagrees though, do let me know!
come dine with me Posts: 306
Definitely cash them!I hate when i have to hold on to the money in my account until they are cashed, keep wishing i could spend it so when its gone its gone!So great your getting them now as well to pay off bits and pieces, hope same happens to me to be honest :-8
tilsun Posts: 4506
I'd say anyone who gives a cheque in advance is doing it so that you can use it to help with wedding stuff. Nothing worse than a cheque being cashed long after you already thought it had been O:|
fluffiesmam Posts: 1470
tbh if i was a guest and i had handed over a cheque, i would hope that it was lodged asap..