Is it possible to lose a stone in a month?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DottyGirl Posts: 76
Well is it? Posted it over in Health and Fitness but OT seems more popular so hoping for more answers! Any tips/hints greatly appreicated! Currently 13 stone and 5ft 9. Really want to get down to 11 stone but would love a stone off before I head away.
HippyChic Posts: 1812
Yes it is. It's also silly, dangerous, and really bad for your health. If you want to lose weight then do it in a steady and controlled fashion, it's more likely to stay off that way. Crash dieting leads to your body going into a panic mode and storing up more fat than it needs when you do eat as it's afraid for it's own well-being - hence yo-yo dieters. Fresh fruit and veg, simple carbohydrates and lean proteins, together with regular exercise is the only way to safely and permanently lose weight. No magic pills, potions or secret words, sorry :thnk
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
It depends. I have lost 11 pounds in the past 2 weeks but to be honest a lot of that was fluid retention rather than just the slimming world diet that I am on. A few pounds was fat (I hope) but if you crash diet then the weight will just bounce back on as soon as you come off the diet - I know, I am a (trying to be reformed) yo yo dieter.
Thanks HC. But i'm not planning on crash dieting. Healthy eating an exercising is my plan. Nothing drastic. I was just wondering is it actually possible to lose it that's all. Even if I lose half a stone i'll be happy.
[quote="CarolinaMoon":2b45smmd]It depends. I have lost 11 pounds in the past 2 weeks but to be honest a lot of that was fluid retention rather than just the slimming world diet that I am on. A few pounds was fat (I hope) but if you crash diet then the weight will just bounce back on as soon as you come off the diet - I know, I am a (trying to be reformed) yo yo dieter.[/quote:2b45smmd] Wow that's great! Well done! :eek
SunnyK Posts: 3834
I've a friend who would be around the weight you are and she started Weight Watchers and started Couch to 5k at the same time - she lost over a sone in the first month and has now hit 2 stone so it's definitely possible. And she wasn't crazy dieting or anything, just sticking to her points etc. Only thing is she is using the old WW points system - I've heard reports the new one isn't so great. At the end of the day if you start jogging or something and also watch your calorie intake you should lose a bit in that time scale. As others have said I wouldn't bother with any mad quick fix things, I think they say it's 70% diet and 30% exercise so just try eating a bit less / more healthy and fit in some exercise.
queen30 Posts: 1551
yeh it is and i dont think you need to be crash dieting either if you are planning on exercising as well. just cut out all the crap and processed foods and booze for a month and with running as well id say you could drop between half a stone and a stone.
Rubix Posts: 692
A friend of mine is doing Sliming World and it has really worked for her. It's not a fad diet for her though, she has incorporated it into her life and has made the changes. It's life changing for her actually. Healthy eating and exercise. Good luck with it.
Thanks everyone. :thnk I'm trying to stick to between 1200 - 1500 calories a day and do 3 classes in the gym a week and then go walking a couple of times too for an hour. Never have and never will crash diet. But looking to overhaul what I eat as my diet at the minute isnt the best. Am great all week and then lose the run of myself at the weekend! No alcohol until I head away and some nice healthy food and exercise should do the trick...I hope!
Rubix Posts: 692
As I was told, "wine is cake in a bottle"