Is it safe to have laptop on lap?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mamabrod Posts: 830
while pregnant? i have been trying to have it on a cushion on my lap but just checking this is ok?
pinky winky Posts: 564
I wonder about this all the time, Im a laptop a holic always lying in bed with it. My DH assures me that it is no different to any other electronically powered thing like a tv or fridge but what would he know!!!! I'm very interested to see what others think.
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
[quote="pinky winky":3t0t13im]I wonder about this all the time, Im a laptop a holic always lying in bed with it. My DH assures me that it is no different to any other electronically powered thing like a tv or fridge but what would he know!!!! I'm very interested to see what others think.[/quote:3t0t13im] +1 I often wonder about this also!
Snuddlums Posts: 1644
Hi I did a search on this a few weeks ago and from what I could see it,it was ok once it didnt get too hot and there is no radiation coming from laptop but i am open to correction.i used to always lie with laptop nearly on my stomach but I stopped and now make sure it is on my lap with a cushion under it.
WoollyWollie Posts: 33
There's no radiation, it should be fine. I found the biggest danger was that my bump used to kick the laptop - she didn't like being used as a shelf : ) Be very careful putting laptops on cushions. The vents are usually underneath and if the hard drive overheats it could burn out and the whole thing would need to be replaced.
BabasFor2012 Posts: 1594
I don't know whether it's safe or not, but I always found my laptop got very hot and I used to get nervous that having it on any materials might be a bad idea. My friend gave me a little plastic laptop table she got in Ikea that she wasn't using, it's one of those ones with just one leg, I find it brilliant. I used to hate any time I was getting up having to find somewhere to put the laptop, this is just so handy, don't think I've used the laptop anywhere in the house except on it since I got it.
pinky winky Posts: 564
[quote="Snuddlums":vizfte7t]i used to always lie with laptop nearly on my stomach but I stopped and now make sure it is on my lap with a cushion under it.[/quote:vizfte7t] Guilty :-8
BusyDee Posts: 8527
[quote="WoollyWollie":g5p6frcz] Be very careful putting laptops on cushions. The vents are usually underneath and if the hard drive overheats it could burn out and the whole thing would need to be replaced.[/quote:g5p6frcz] +1 Im not too worried about the laptop but I always stand away from the microwave when its on :hic
leopardess Posts: 906
I wondered about this during pregnancy too, not sure. however i do find if laptop is on my lap or im in bed it can overheat quickly so i got this in ikea and its brill, i use it in bed mainly http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/60150176 they have a few others too :wv