Menu

is it too soon to book venue/church??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kittypurry Posts: 897
we have our heart set on getting married late july 2012. do you think it would be too early to start booking the venue and church this summer? i only ask because i know how popular some dates are especialy during the summer. how far in advance have other brides booked? :thnk
princess tinkerbelle Posts: 811
TBH I would say it's a bit early. In this economic climate, I'd be afraid that the hotel would go bust and you would lose your deposit and would probably prefer to wait til a little bit closer to the time (even next year). I would also be a bit wary about booking the church so far in advance as they may not have a diary for 2012 yet and I'd be afraid that the booking would get "mislaid" between now and then. Again, I'd say you'd be in plenty of time to book this time next year.
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
Have you a venue chosen? If you have I wonder would they take your names and hold the date for you with out a deposit until next year? Normally I would say go for with, but the way things are going with hotels closing I would hold on to my money for a little while if I was you! On the church front, we booked our church a year and 3 months before our wedding and the priest was laughing at us saying we were very early
well i have a couple in mind but we're going to the wedding fair in the waterside in donabate tomorrow to see what its like all set up
CestMoi Posts: 2162
We booked our hotel a year and a half before the date. Hotels closer to Dublin were getting booked up by then. But the priest on the other hand was a bit put out by how early I was, I was only ringing him out of courtesy because I was putting the deposit on the hotel. He didn't have a 2009 diary in the end of 2007, he just said to ring back again about 8 months before hand. I would say 2 years or slightly less would be time enough. As someone else said the Hotels might not have diaries for that long away. You could change your mind either, then the deposit is gone.
fluffiesmam Posts: 1470
we booked at about 20 months to go and tbh you'd prob be grand from about 2yrs even for those sought after dates.
Kathy De Stafford Bridal
ladybusby Posts: 575
You should have plenty of time booking next year. We booked near enough 2 years prev and practically the whole year was free *)
ohsotired Posts: 7071
Honestly I think it's a bit too early! We booked our hotel last April for next August which was a bit over 2 years away and tbh that was time enough! When we went to book church they didn't have a diary and in the interim we've gone for a different church! I imagine you're excited about getting married but as it's a good bit away I'd concentrate on enjoying your engagement & putting a POA in place re saving etc and then maybe think about booking things next year!!! :wv
thanks for all your help girls. we went to the open evening in the waterside last night and even though they assured us that the hotel is safe in this R we have decided to hold of putting down a deposit until next year. but we decided that we're defintitly going to go for the waterside :xxx i had such a good feeling about it yesterday....maybe it was just the oddly beautiful feb day we had :o0
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
[quote="princess2707":xxec2jrt]thanks for all your help girls. we went to the open evening in the waterside last night and even though they assured us that the hotel is safe in this R we have decided to hold of putting down a deposit until next year. but we decided that we're defintitly going to go for the waterside :xxx i had such a good feeling about it yesterday....maybe it was just the oddly beautiful feb day we had :o0[/quote:xxec2jrt] Congrats on picking your venue. The Waterside is lovely, the only reason we didnt go with it was cause the minimum number was too high. Best of luck :wv