Is "Sarah" a really popular name these days?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Trafford Posts: 463
Hi guys, I don't know many children nor people with children so I'm asking you. We love the name Sarah, but we definitely don't want a name for our little girl that is "trendy" or in fashion. We were disappointed to see the name appear in the top ten lists over the past few years. It does seem to have slipped a little now though. So, can you tell me whether you are still hearing of a lot of Sarah's being born, or if you think the name is just too common these days? Many thanks.
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Yeah it seems to be - I know lots of kids called Sarah! Its not a name I would be mad about personally.
[quote="MrsDCee":osfg7cdy]Yeah it seems to be - I know lots of kids called Sarah! Its not a name I would be mad about personally.[/quote:osfg7cdy] Ok, well thanks for that and for sharing your opinion on my favourite name :o0 What names do you like, out of interest?
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Yeah sorry but sure if you like it go for it! We had a mad gran-aunt called Sarah whom we were terrified of as kids so maybe that why :o0 We had a hard time trying to pick girls names tbh none really jumped out at us and we have to be careful with our surname. I really liked Miah but cant use that with our surname - ragin! Also like Leah, Lauren, Zoe, Grace.
[quote="MrsDCee":2hm9oc73]Yeah sorry but sure if you like it go for it! We had a mad gran-aunt called Sarah whom we were terrified of as kids so maybe that why :o0 We had a hard time trying to pick girls names tbh none really jumped out at us and we have to be careful with our surname. I really liked Miah but cant use that with our surname - ragin! Also like Leah, Lauren, Zoe, Grace.[/quote:2hm9oc73] I know if we love a name we probably should go for it, but the idea of it being so common really puts us off. It's a shame because Sarah is a name that has been around for centuries, and will never date, which is why we liked it - we like classic names. Another reason I love it is the song "Sarah" by Thin Lizzy always makes me cry, the words are so beautiful, and I could imagine us saying that to our little girl "When you came in my life you changed my world, my Sarah. Everything seemed so right, my baby girl, my Sarah". :) I hear you about names reminding you of people being a right turn off too :o0
Sydney Bristow Posts: 185
On the most up to date available CSO figures Sarah is at number 4 in the most popular list. http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/ ... ynames.pdf Popular names are popular for a reason though, it's a lovely name!!
Mooches Posts: 875
Hi Trafford, I'm a teacher and every class I've taught in the last 6 years (7 classes) has had at least one (sometimes two!) Sarahs in it! I have a niece and a friend called Sarah too. That being said I haven't heard of any babies in the last few years being called Sarah. All those Sarahs I've taught range from ages 8 to about 12 or so. Like you said it's dropped down in popularity recently. I really like it though and I know what you mean about it being timeless and classical. All the Sarahs I've had have been really lovely kids so that probably affects things for me! :o0 Some variations of Sarah are Sara, Zara, Sadie, Sally and Saranne (pronounced Sur-ann). Must say I like Saranne and Zara myself but they're too like our niece's name and DH isn't mad about them. Go with names you like and don't mind what others think, it's your child after all! :wv
Thanks for your responses. Mooches, that is reassuring to hear, that the name seems to be less popular for new borns. I can handle it being common in the age 8 upwards bracket.
Babyboomerang Posts: 543
I think Sarah appears consistently in the top 10, but I wouldn't class it as a "trendy" name, it's up there because it's a beautiful name. There are other names in the CSO top 10 that I would never consider because I think they're to faddy, whereas Sarah is a classic. I say go for it :o)ll
Daff Posts: 11644
OUr three top girls names are all near the top of the CSO list. I was so upset cause for two of them I hadn't heard of any babies being called them! think we're going to bite the bullet and just go for our favourite. We also like classic names. Our boys name is a bit more out there - or so I thought and now I keep hearing of boys called it or seeing it in name threads on here O:|