Menu

Is there a solution to silvercross having no car seat base?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunnyside Posts: 3164
I've started to look at a few travel systems and really liked the look of the Silvercross 3d. Only thing is the girl in shop said that there's no car seat base to go with the car seat so it can't be lifted in an out easily. Anyone found a solution to this?
sinion Posts: 6050
I hear you, we got the iCandy Cherry and Maxi Cosi car seat but the base won't fit into our car unfortunately, so we're just going to have to do the seatbelt thing each time. Pain in the neck really.
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
hey sunnyside, we were looking at the silver cross one too. I would rather have a base too but there is none with the Silver cross. It would be a pain to buckle it in all the time. Are you still going to get it do you think? Does the car seat fit into the buggie and is it secure when you do? (BTW - mothercare up north do it for 80 euro cheaper than mothercare down south.)
sunnyside Posts: 3164
thanks girls I don't think I would get it because of that. while I don't see me lifting the car seat in and out too much as I'm a bit of a light weight when it comes to carrying things I think it would be a problem for my DH. Now that he knows there's better/simpler systems by having a car seat base he won't be convinced with Silver Cross. It's a shame cause I really liked it otherwise.
bride. Posts: 3014
We bought the 3d and the car seat at the same time from smyths, the assistant told us there was a car base but they didn't stock it and we could get it from eurobaby, of course it turned out it doesn't exist. I'm raging! I'd love to hear from anyone who has it how handy it is to buckle the car seat in and remove it?
mama2E Posts: 670
I ended up getting the cosatto cabi. It also does not have a base. But my two friend that both have isofix car seat bases told me don't (like them) restrict myself to which car seat I get because of base. Both babies were out of original car seat by 5 months (and one was a premmie 5lber). So not only can you not use the base anymore until next baby (which is around £100) you also have to get a new car seat anyway. Also, Apparently car seats are so well made now and safe that its quite handy getting them in and out of car just using the seat belt and you quickly get the swing of it! With all that said I've used the bases when minding my friends babies and OMG they are handy!!!!!!!! The Britax travel system has a base and so does the graco ones (I think)
susmurf Posts: 1060
I was just like you - the base was really important to me - so we went with the iCandy apple - and I have to say the base is by far the best investment I've made. I had to buckle the seat into my sisters car twice without the base - and it was such a hassle! It's true that the base is no good for the second car seat but you have to change car seat regardless of whether it has a base or not, so it's just the extra expense of the base and I have come across people on this site who have used their maxi cosi beyond 12 months. Once my husband had heard of the base, there was no option even though I loved the Silver Cross, but now I love my apple!!
chloe100 Posts: 97
I've another question about bases!! I've been looking at the Teutonia travel system uses Maxi Cosi ...Has a base and the Jané Slalom Pro which has no base.... Can the Maxi Cosi be used without a base or do I need to buy two bases one for my car and one for Hubby's.... any feedback on the travel systems :o0
susmurf Posts: 1060
Maxi cosi can be strapped in without the base, but the base can be moved really easily - takes about 30 seconds!
jellybaby Posts: 2316
We've a Maxi Cosi seat, but no base. Never had an issue with DD, it took about 20 seconds to strap the belt around it - yes the first couple of times are a bit difficult as it's all new to you, but once you know what you're doing, there's nothing to it. As someone else said about not getting the use out of it, DD was out of her baby seat at 3 months, and into a 'fixed' seat, so I'm glad I didn't waste over 100 quid on a base. I expect we'll get the same use out of the baby seat for this baby, but even if he gets longer in it, it won't be a problem strapping the belt around. I wouldn't base my purchase of a whole travel system around whether a seat has a base or not - you could end up settling for second best travel system and really regretting it, after spending hundreds on it....all for the sake of having a base ;o(