is there anyone who knows about maternity leave benef

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sparkly Pooh Bear Posts: 96
I don't want to put up my query because it is very complicated and will make me identifiable but is there anyone who really knows their stuff about credits on illness benefit and qualifying for maternity benefit. I'm hoping if someone knows they will work out if I can qualify or not for maternity benefit. Thanks girls.
LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
I can't help specifically but I also had a complex situation & found Citizens Informarion brilliant for advice. Their website is really detailed but I have also rang them (more than once) & they have always been well informed. I would ring them before contacting Revenue, you can keep anonymous. Website is:
peanut14 Posts: 71
I was on illness benifit while pregnant, this did not affect my maternity benefit. Not sure if this is the same as your situation but hope it helps.
peanut14 Posts: 71
Just to add I think what while you are receiving illness benefit you are still paying your stamp.
Mrsdosser Posts: 341
Hiya, id know quite a bit having been through a complex situation myself when it came to mat benefit! I managed to get it. Feel free to pm me the details and I can see if I can help?? X
Drift Gal Posts: 178
[quote="Mrsdosser":3eecx9iv]Hiya, id know quite a bit having been through a complex situation myself when it came to mat benefit! I managed to get it. Feel free to pm me the details and I can see if I can help?? X[/quote:3eecx9iv] Does anyone know about being self employed and qualifying for maternity benefit?
lorraine78 Posts: 988
I don't think you get it if you're self employed.
Drift Gal Posts: 178
If you accountant declares taxes of sufficient PRSI paid up to a threshold amount, apparently you qualify - anybody actually registered as self employed that can verify if it can be got?
SurpriseBaby Posts: 8
You can definitely get maternity benefit if you're self employed. I was sure it wasn't allowed but I called social Welfare and talked to them in the maternity benefit section. They were so helpful. I only worked a few months as self Employed last year but was paid really well and that amount alone that earned in those months gave me 52 credits for that whole year which was enough to mean I'll get mat leave pay when I have my baby this July. That is dependent though on me still being working up until at least 16 weeks before the baby comes and me making enough in pay this year to qualify. Hope that helps.