Menu

Is there anything they won't charge for!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Daisy Row Posts: 3650
Just got off the phone with the parish office of the church I am getting married in. I was sorting out the confirmation cert and letter of freedom and was informed there was a €5 charge for each document. I've heard it all now! Got my baptismal cert and letter of freedom last week from another parish in the same town and there was no charge.
sarebear Posts: 275
I know it is so frustrating how they can charge such a fee! I have been informed that one of the parishes we need certs (letter of freedom and bamtismal )from charge €6 per cert and we need 4 from them, its a joke. Yet the parish we are living in now don't charge for the letter of freedom and the church where i made my confirmation don't charge either and both of these had them ready to collect today, yet the one that is charging us said it will take a couple of days! For what????? To type our names onto a piece of paper!!!!! >:o(
seedee Posts: 1017
is it that big a deal? its not an astronomical fee. birth cert copies cost €8. there [i:1jb9csyi]is[/i:1jb9csyi] work involved in getting it for you!
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Agree with above poster. I had to buy a birth cert when we went to register intent and that was required for the State marriage. Churches have admin costs like any other business that have to be paid for.
lolabelle Posts: 3311
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":3ln8nd6q]Agree with above poster. I had to buy a birth cert when we went to register intent and that was required for the State marriage. Churches have admin costs like any other business that have to be paid for.[/quote:3ln8nd6q] Well perhaps the should practice what they preach and stop running the church like a business and sell some of the riches and art and properties they own all over the world and live like they are supposed to. As men with nothing .... ARGH don't get me started.
seedee Posts: 1017
can... worms... EVERYWHERE!!!
[quote="lolabelle":nj71d3di][quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":nj71d3di]Agree with above poster. I had to buy a birth cert when we went to register intent and that was required for the State marriage. Churches have admin costs like any other business that have to be paid for.[/quote:nj71d3di] Well perhaps the should practice what they preach and stop running the church like a business and sell some of the riches and art and properties they own all over the world and live like they are supposed to. As men with nothing .... ARGH don't get me started.[/quote:nj71d3di] Well, its not a legal requirement to have a church wedding, people do chose to have them! We didn't have one ourselves so had none of this to deal with. But if people want a church wedding, they have to go by the capriocious rules of the organisation or get married somewhere else.
[quote="seedee":1ahu8aqc]can... worms... EVERYWHERE!!![/quote:1ahu8aqc] :o0 :o0 :o0
lolabelle Posts: 3311
[quote="seedee":22kcwvbu]can... worms... EVERYWHERE!!![/quote:22kcwvbu] :o0 :o0 :o0 Yep! Catholic church does it to me every time! Can't keep my gob shut about it.
Daisy Row Posts: 3650
I can understand they have admin costs too but it just seems odd that the church I am getting married and 'donating' €300 to for the pleasure wants another €10 for 2 bits of paper and the church down the road was happy to do it on the spot for free.