Is there such a thing as a selfless good deed?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Boulevard Posts: 995
Can you do a good deed without making yourself feel good?? E.g I've just sent my friend some flowers as its very close to her wedding and I am very excited. I knew she would be delighted but it also made me feel good. :-8 See? What if you give money/coffee/sandwich to homeless person? They are delighted and you feel good that you helped them? Hmmmm, no such thing as a selfless good deed?? Discuss :o0
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
No. Just ask Phoebe.
Milly83 Posts: 3620
I don't think that a good dead should be deemed as being selfish or selfless. I mean, no matter who you are, if you do something good for someone else, you will automatically feel great. For example, let's say there was a car accident in front of you. You see that there is a woman hurt and you automatically get out of your car to comfort her. You don't think in the car "Oh this is great, now I will feel good for helping her". You get out thinking you better help her and feel sorry for her. Afterwards, you feel great yes but it shouldn't be deemed as being selfish. Damn Friends!!!!! :o0
Boulevard Posts: 995
I knew it sounded familiar.
Delish Posts: 4176
Yes there definitely is. I can think of loads of examples of people doing selfless good deeds, O:o) = me!! :o0 :o0 I honestly can think of plenty of examples where people have called into our office in a frantic state (often at 5 to 5 on a friday evening or at 5.30 or after when we are just closing up), and you do a good deed and talk to them and calm them down/give advice in the full knowledge that you may never see them again, you may not gain anything by giving random people your time and they may not appreciate it. Sometimes you feel great and uplifted after being generally helpful and kind for nothing in return, but there have been occassions where I have felt that the person you are giving your time to, doesn't appreciate it at all, and on those occassions you don't get the feel good factor. Ah well - People have done good deeds for me too, so what goes around comes around. I have seen loads of examples over the years of people doing good deeds and never being recognised for it, doing it completely for selfless reasons, I'm sure sometimes there was a feelgood factor involved and sometimes there probably wasn't, but the intention was to do the good deed either way.