Is this an unreasonable amount of money?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

macattack Posts: 1617
Going away for a night next month with DH. I've booked a City Centre hotel and I'm only after noticing in the small print that they charge £18 for a overnight stay in the carpark :eek Is it just me or is that extortionate? The hotel we usually stay in charge £5 for an overnighter. Does it seem like a reasonable amount? We wouldn't stay in City centre hotels that often so maybe it's totally normal. Thoughts?
Vintage Darling Posts: 430
Robbing b*stards!! Yes, that's alot to pay to leave your car in the carpark of the hotel in which you are staying. I thought most hotesl would either include the cost of parking or charge a reduced rate for guests of the hotel?
[quote="Vintage Darling":2q9kzows]Robbing b*stards!! Yes, that's alot to pay to leave your car in the carpark of the hotel in which you are staying. I thought most hotesl would either include the cost of parking or charge a reduced rate for guests of the hotel?[/quote:2q9kzows] Apparently that is the reduced rate. £25 for non residents! Thought I ws getting a great rate on the room but now I realise they've just made up for it by sticking their arm in on the carparking. I'm angry now. Do you think I should cancel and book my second choice hotel? The one I've booked is literally next door to the concert venue we're going to but the second choice wouldn't be far away either. A room in the second choice is about £30 cheaper and they charge £5 for the carpark. :duh:
JustJess Posts: 368
In Dublin City it is quite common for that price. I'm from DUblin so if I'm staying in a hotel I know where I can park on the street for free. A lot of the car parks do an overnight rate of 5euro but if you are parked from say 2pm to the next day, it all adds up.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Sounds about right for Dublin, we paid a similar amount in Belfast last year.
ianstuart Posts: 1947
Are you sure the hotel own the car park ? We have stayed in a good few city centre hotels and while they do advertise they have car parking facilities they only have an arrangement with the private car park beside the hotel in which case you have to pay. E18 isnt too bad , we have been away and had to pay E25 for an over night stay. [b:qs1a6a3n]ALTHO[/b:qs1a6a3n] if the hotel own the car park and they are charging E18 to park then its a crazy amount. They should be grateful for your business and not trying to put the hand in.
ianstuart Posts: 1947
[quote="macattack":2y5usjek][quote="Vintage Darling":2y5usjek]Robbing b*stards!! Yes, that's alot to pay to leave your car in the carpark of the hotel in which you are staying. I thought most hotesl would either include the cost of parking or charge a reduced rate for guests of the hotel?[/quote:2y5usjek] Apparently that is the reduced rate. £25 for non residents! Thought I ws getting a great rate on the room but now I realise they've just made up for it by sticking their arm in on the carparking. I'm angry now. Do you think I should cancel and book my second choice hotel? The one I've booked is literally next door to the concert venue we're going to but the second choice wouldn't be far away either. [u:2y5usjek]A room in the second choice is about £30 cheaper and they charge £5 for the carpark. :duh:[/quote:2y5usjek] [/u:2y5usjek] I would do this , if you are going to a concert then you wont have much time in the room so i would opt for the cheaper room and cheaper parking.
Vintage Darling Posts: 430
Is it sterling or euro? I read it as 18 pounds? Just checked the Gibson Hotel at the Point which is a fairly pricey place due to convienence and their parking is €14 for 24 hours. The Westbury is €20 per day for Residents so I suppose it does vary. All depends on whether it is worth it for you - is the longer walk to the other hotel too far?
I'm not 100% sure bit I think they own it. It's the Hilton in Belfast. I'm annoyed at myself for booking it without even considering where we'd park the car. Heat of the moment and all that :o0
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
Is this in Belfast? We got caught for that at the Premiere inn at the Odysses. Their own carpark was cheaper but tiny and full. Raddisson Blu are deadly as well. If its city centre there is an all night car park round the corner from the Fitzwilliam but again, its not cheap. I've been caught for hotel car parks in Cork and Dublin too.