Is this constipation??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I was having a great day yesterday until about 7.30ish. I started getting bad cramps down low, almost where I imagine my bladder to be. Sorted figured it was normal and it would go away. Only it didn't. By 9 I had a band of pain all the way around me, sort of under the bump all the way around to my lower back. That pain was bareable, what was horrible was the pain in my bladder(?). I really thougth I was having contractions :-8 The pain would start off bad but then it felt like somebody was squeezing my insides really tight. Then it would ease off again. This went on all night. I slept from 10-12 and have been awake since. I couldn't get comfortable. I really felt like I needed a good fart :-8 but I couldn't get one out iykwim :-8 I'm at work at the moment and the pain has eased off a lot, I'm able to walk now and ((TMI)) I've had a movement :-8 I just wondered could it have been trapped wind or constipation, even though I wasn't constipated yesterday. Could I have been constipation just last night? I was going to head over to the chemist to get something but I really don't know what to ask for. I thought you girls might have some advice before I go embarrassing myself in the chemist. Thanks :thnk
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Hi, i get those pains when im constipated too. I have IBS so im used to them otherwise i would have thought they were something more serious. I had them in work one day and i couldnt stand up or walk properly i was doubled over in pain. I find a walk is the best thing, im not sure if you can take anything for constipation when pregnant. If im bunged up and then have a movement :-8 the pains actually get worse for a few hours???
Heavenleigh Posts: 1406
Don´t be too embarrased to ask, but I know what you mean :-8 Anyway, sounds like constipation to me, i had kinda the same thing around two weeks ago. I don´t know what exactly the pain felt like, but f it eased after movement, then it sounds like it. Anyway, i don´t think it was contractions, but make sure to keep an eye on it and maybe phone your doc about it if it returns or doesn´t get better *)
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Thanks for the replies. NLTG, I find when I do a piddle :-8 I get a bad pain low down that lasts a few minutes. So now I take my time getting off the seat :-8 :-8 Oh my god - where else could I discuss things like this. Honest to god it's so embarrassing :-8 Thanks!
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
No problem, i find if i get up off a chair too quickly i get a shooting pain down low. I asked my GP about these pains and she said when you are pregnant your body produces a hormone called relaxin. This makes your ligaments softer around pelvis area and can cause pains like this. Im getting them all around my lower back, hips and lower abdomen, but once i know there is no danger i can put up with them. If you are getting a pain in your bladder maybe you are letting your bladder get too full or you may have a UTI (urinary tract infection). Try peeing immediately when you feel the need and see do you still get the pain.
deem Posts: 710
If you are constipated, try eating high fibre in your diet, it works far better than any over the counter remedy, increase fibre intake in diet, water also helps loosen things up. So try oranges, O juice, brown soda bread, porrige, weetabix. Introcuce one at a time until you find one that works for you. I you go all out, you could end up the other way, iykwim. If it is constipation high fibre in your diet should work within a day or so. but if still there I'd go to doctor.
mammybean Posts: 10364
the best advce i got on her for constipation was - prune juice. It doesnt taste as bad as it looks - i swear. and it does a mighty fine job
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
I get those pains too nearly every single time I have to poo,when I got the first severe one I was in agony for hours and had to rush to the doctors as I was terrified something had happened....I did a number 2 and the pain went :-8 :-8 :-8 how embrassing but you cant take any chances