is this just an old wives tale?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

voddy Posts: 108
I need to go to a funeral tonight but my friend told me its bad luck for me to go into the funeral home while im pregnant. Advice anyone?
nea dude Posts: 749
I haven't heard that but I am superstitious, could you not pay your respects in the church after the mass just incase?
Dootsay Posts: 958
never heard of that one - doesn't bode well for me as I was at a funeral already (removal) :-8
shootingstar Posts: 1340
I was thinking the same last week when i had to go to a wake/funeral. i asked about and people said that it is bad luck to set foot in a graveyard when you are pregnant, but no one heard anything about going to a wake?? So I chose to go to the house and pay my respects and not go to the funeral, the family were very understanding.
tiggeriffic Posts: 547
I was at OH uncles funeral when I was pregnant but his mum wouldnt let me into the graveyard. Luckily the plot was just inside the wall so there was a good few of us outside! So the church etc is ok but graveyard not! But it is an old wives tale
Dootsay Posts: 958
Feck - was in a few graveyards too, am a total gonner then so :o( :o(
Dora the explorer Posts: 1570
Your not supposed to go into a graveyard I did though, the saying is "you should not pass the living over the dead" hope that helps x
jarashow Posts: 3083
Do you honestly think something might happen because you set foot in a grave yard or funeral home.... come on. I am up shit creak if that's the case as went to my Grannys grave at the week-end.
silíní Posts: 4219
Girls ye cannot be serious, think about this logically.... the health of your baby has nothing to do with graveyards or funerals or anything like that... I think you will just make yourselves unecessarily anxious worrying about stuff like that.......... Think happy thoughts.....!!
sinion Posts: 6050
sorry but I think that's just being ridiculous, refusing to go to a funeral for that reason! There's old wive's tales regarding health and then there's old wive's tales that are just stuff and nonsense, such as this. Really, what harm could it do?