Is this nice or naff?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Smileykaz Posts: 7296
So my best friend is emigrating at the end of the month. Well actually she's from abroad so she's just going back home but she's been here for ten years, and she's going for good. It's going to be a permanent thing you know and as it's transatlantic the chances of me getting out to visit her will be genuinely once every five to ten years. Flights are just colossal and we're hoping to start a family and all of that. And same for her, she's not going to have spare money to throw around on coming to visit me. So - point of long rambling post - I have a lovely photo of the two of us together. I was thinking of framing it and giving it to her as part of her going-away present. Just as a 'remember when we were young and good looking and having fun' thing. But I feel a bit.......urgh about it! I don't know why! Don't ask me. It's jsut the thought of giving her the present and saying 'Look, it's a picture, of ME!' Is it really weird to give a friend a picture of yourself? In a frame, like a present? I dont know why I'm dithering over this.
Rogue User Posts: 6101
[quote="Smileykaz":3k4fwfby]So my best friend is emigrating at the end of the month. Well actually she's from abroad so she's just going back home but she's been here for ten years, and she's going for good. It's going to be a permanent thing you know and as it's transatlantic the chances of me getting out to visit her will be genuinely once every five to ten years. Flights are just colossal and we're hoping to start a family and all of that. And same for her, she's not going to have spare money to throw around on coming to visit me. So - point of long rambling post - I have a lovely photo of the two of us together. I was thinking of framing it and giving it to her as part of her going-away present. Just as a 'remember when we were young and good looking and having fun' thing. But I feel a bit.......urgh about it! I don't know why! Don't ask me. It's jsut the thought of giving her the present and saying 'Look, it's a picture, of ME!' Is it really weird to give a friend a picture of yourself? In a frame, like a present? I dont know why I'm dithering over this.[/quote:3k4fwfby] I would love a picture like that - the perfect gift so long as you BOTH look good in it!
Mari yay Posts: 4045
Go for it I think it's a lovely idea
Nostress Posts: 1606
I think it's nice(ish) I like the idea of a picture with my friend but not sure I'd put it on my mantle piece. Why not try [url:fbogviny]http://www.moonpig.com/uk[/url:fbogviny] and get some nice witty card with the two of you on the front? That way she has it but doesn't feel she need to show it off. God forbid she'd hand the picture in the bathroom or something just so it's up on the wall!! :-8
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
I love it, I think it is a really nice idea. If I was moving I would love a nice photo of my best friend and me in a nice frame. In fact, I have one that we have been meaning to make a copy of and frame, so it is top of the list of things to do on payday as I got a bit teary there at the thought of not seeing her for 10 years.
streaks Posts: 3592
Aww that's a lovely idea, not naff at all! I know someone who gave their OH a framed picture of themselves(alone) for Xmas.. I kid you not. Now that's naff :ooh
SunnyK Posts: 3834
I don't think it's naff at all! TBH I think the framed pic is a better idea than the moonpig card... I've got a few of them over the last couple of years for people and don't think the quality is great or anything - I'd defo go with the photo!
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
[quote="streaks":19wtt12h]Aww that's a lovely idea, not naff at all! I know someone who gave their OH a framed picture of themselves(alone) for Xmas.. I kid you not. Now that's naff :ooh[/quote:19wtt12h] You've just reminded me of a story. OH and I were going out about a year when we met a friend of a friend up the town one Saturday. It was coming up to Christmas and she was all excited to show us what she had got her boyfriend for Christmas. She took out a B4 size (bigger than A4, smaller than A3) sized portrait of her face in a frame. So a picture of her head only blew up to near twice the size. They were going out about 3 months.
lollypopwife Posts: 836
100% go for it. I don't think its naff at all, I think its a lovely idea. I've done this once or twice for my mam or such but I wouldn't hesitate for a good friend. In fact I have a 'friend' frame I picked up about a year ago for my best friend, one that has two pictures, saying then and now - I have a photo of us together in our communion dresses and when I have a picture of us on my wedding day (she's my MOH) I'm going to put that in the other. Mightn't be to everyone's taste and I don't mind if she puts it in a box (i don't expect it displayed I mean :o0 ) but I like to mark things in this way and a photo is a great way to do that!
Dollydel Posts: 1726
I think that is a lovely idea. A friend of mine gave me a framed photo of all of us girls that went on her hens for my birthday a couple of years ago. I love it.