Is this odd or is it me?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lux Posts: 6270
:thnk
2ndBaby Posts: 260
It is a bit odd to be honest. If you ring is quite unique, then I would find it weird as it simply couldn't be coincidence. But, I would move on and try to take it as a compliment, which it really is at the end of the day. She liked your ring so much, that she got one just like it. It must mean you have great taste! ETA... I would find it harder to get over, if it was a sibling, relative or close friend who copied my ring. Given that she is only really an acquaintance, I would definitely let it go, and chalk it up to you simply having a gorgeous ring!
Elle Driver Posts: 508
It is odd! They say it's a form of flattery though. I'd find it a bit creepy. Keep an eye out that she doesn't change her hair so it's like yours...I wonder what the wedding dress will be like? It's a little bit too 'Single White Female' for my liking!
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
It is a bit odd,but they do say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Did she have a say in the ring? Maybe he knew she wanted something different and knew she liked yours.....?? Or she knew she wanted something different, but didn't know what until she saw yours?? Wouldn't be too bothered about it, after all, you did have your one first, especially if you don't see her that often.
gopro Posts: 1801
no I don't think it's odd a rings a ring they aren't exclusive
trance Posts: 3129
This has happened to me in the past with a particular 'friend', I won't go into the details but it was blatant copying of certain things I had/liked, personally I didn't like it, made me uncomfortable and I actually distanced myself from her for a while, she seems to have gotten over it now. My point being I didn't find it flattering I found it annoying but this person you're talking about is more friend of a friend so presumably you don't see her that often? I wouldn't be happy about it, especially my engagement ring it's very personal, mine is also quite distinctive and people comment on it but as you say, it's not the only e ring of that kind in the world!! But there's nothing you can do about it I guess!!
dresstoimpress Posts: 1719
I know of a girl who choose an engagement ring the very same as another girl we both know, but with a much bigger stone!! Not that is terrible. In your case I'd just accept it as flattery. You must have good taste!
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
I dont really think it's odd at all Lux. I know 2 girls who have pretty much the same ring (and they know each other). I also got my ring made (in Antwerp) and my friend went over to the same shop and got pretty much the same ring only smaller in the same shop. Sure what can ya do??
DillieDallie Posts: 423
This has happened to me before, but with my house. Myself and a friend both moved in to our first homes within months of each other and every time I called over I would spot something new, and IDENTICAL to what I had in mine. Kitchen tiles, identical, Living Room furniture, identical, Light fittings, identical, Kitchen table, identical, Hall Table, Identical, Bathroom tiles, Identical you get the drift. Needless to say I was a bit like WTF. Not so much pissed off but more "What are you like?!" I never said it to her. However if someone copied my ring, which we designed and got custom made ourselves I would be more than a little pissed off, its just too personal a thing to copy. Fair enough if I had a solitaire on platinum band, and a friend got something similar, but not when its so unique in the first place. Sorry I waffled there a bit :wv
Snuffy Posts: 1492
I'd find it a slightly creepy form of flattery. But only because your ring was made and is unique. If yours was a ring bought in a shop I wouldn't bat an eyelid.