ISt appt, what to expect

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

emeralsd Posts: 470
Hi all Im moving over from the ttc forum to this one. Hi to all u pregnant ladies :wv We got our BFP on Sunday. I still need to make my appt with my Gp to get everything onfirmed. Can anyone tell me what to expect at the first appt, is an internal part of the checkup. Feeling nervous about it all, probably why iv havent rang to make the appt. Alo public or private, really havent a clue what to do. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance :thnk
molls Posts: 149
I'd my first GP visit last week. I just told my doctor I'd a positive pregnancy test. He asked for the date of the first day of my last period and gave me a due date. He said there was no need for another test. I was weighed and had my blood pressure taken. He asked if I'd brought a urine sample and when I said no I was sent off with a little container. I had gone just before I left the house so only produced the smallest dribble, but that was more than enough for him (used to check for kidney problems I think). He asked if I'd any particular worries and the only thing I asked was about kidney infections (I suffered as a child and don't fancy a repeat of that). A form for the hospital (public patient) and one for the health board (combined care) were completed and I was told to drop them into the relevant offices. Then I was told to make an appointment to see the nurse again in about four weeks and that was it. There was no internal exam and if one was mentioned, I'd have left.
Bumpalicious Posts: 512
Hi there, At my first visit, he did a urine pregnancy test to confirm, examined me (breasts and tummy) and took my BP. He also asked whether I wanted to go public/private, and recommended a consultant. He gave me some advice on things to do and not do, but that's about it, really. A GP wouldn't do an internal AFAIK, unless you have a history. I had an internal scan done by the consultant at 10wks, but that's only because i'd been really ill. Hope that helps, congratulations!!! Best of luck for the next few months!!
emeralsd Posts: 470
Thankyou MOlls and bumpalicious. I feel more relaxed now. I think i read in one of the pregnancy books about internal which freaked me out big time. As for going public or private, ill ask the gp some moreinfo about this, Ill keep u all posted . Thanks for replying :thnk
Bumpalicious Posts: 512
No probs, i've certainly never heard of anyone getting an internal like that. Re: Public Vs Private, this really depends on your history, circumstances etc so it might be best to discuss with him. It might help you to know how much private costs, though, so you can have an idea before you go in there. Our consultant costs 3,600 (we're in Dublin), but if you have VHI you can claim about 250 of this back, and up to 40% back on your tax through a MED1 form. Your VHI will also cover three nights in a private room (if theres one available on the day). If you're outside Dublin you'll probably have to pay a lot less....
molls Posts: 149
[quote="emeralsd":7bgpqx8t]Thankyou MOlls and bumpalicious. I feel more relaxed now. I think i read in one of the pregnancy books about internal which freaked me out big time. As for going public or private, ill ask the gp some moreinfo about this, Ill keep u all posted . Thanks for replying :thnk[/quote:7bgpqx8t] Yeah, I was worried about that too. In "what to expect when you're expecting" it claims that you'll have a smear and an internal exam!
Lady Muck Posts: 19
I went recently for my fist visit too. :o)ll About the public v private, the doctor said that "[b:3gu60cpd]you get excellent care with public and private, but if going private means financial strain, then don't do it[/b:3gu60cpd]" It costs about €3k for the consultants fees, but you could be landed with a big bill if anything unexpected comes up. A girl told me recently her bill was €7k, but she was happy to pay that. Plus you can claim some of it back on tax. There's pros and cons for both. It's not a lot of money when you consider what you would spend on a holiday or a wedding, but on the other hand, if there's an equally good system available for free then its up to yourself to choose. Best of luck and congratulations!