Jaysus - thanks Mam and Dad!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Just saw this article on this brill blog I read, The Anti Room. A mother and father in the US sent their daughter, who was getting married, a card with some money in it before the wedding. Telling her to buy a scales. So that she would fit into the dress and be beautiful. http://theantiroom.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... mment-7618 I know there are a few threads on here about weightloss and I myslef started one about healthy eating - but it doesn't need to go to this extreme. We're all gorgeous so we are, no matter what size.
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
Jebus, that's vicious but in that sneaky "Look, here's a lovely gift for you cos we love you so much...you fatso" kind of way. Poor girl, I hope she put the money towards the wedding food :o0
lux Posts: 6270
My mum asked me on Christmas day if I'd put on weight on my thighs and told me to "be careful" eating at Christmas cos I had to fit into my dress. I wouldn't mind but I ordered the dress in my size anyway, figuring better to have it fitting than a small size I was under pressure to fit into. I love her..................really.
I know, doesn't it just have that 'you fatso' vibe to it? "You're beautiful - now." Subtext "You weren't all that before, don't you dare get fat for the photos!" I think I'd actually cry for a week if my folks did that to me. Lux - that would just kill me. Maybe it's because I am actually a fatso. But I would just hate my mam to comment to me, in relation to the dress. If she was worried about my health you know, if she saw me struggling to walk up stairs or something and said to me gently that she was worried, then absolutely fair enough. But - 'watch the size of those thighs for the dress'. No, that woudl really upset me.
lux Posts: 6270
[quote="Smileykaz":3b1sy9u7]Lux - that would just kill me. Maybe it's because I am actually a fatso. But I would just hate my mam to comment to me, in relation to the dress. If she was worried about my health you know, if she saw me struggling to walk up stairs or something and said to me gently that she was worried, then absolutely fair enough. But - 'watch the size of those thighs for the dress'. No, that woudl really upset me.[/quote:3b1sy9u7] Yeah I guess I'm used to it!!! She can be a bit over bearing but I've learned to just let her comments "hang" in the air by not responding and watching her backtrack is FUN!! I could write a list of her "I'm just being honest" comments but why upset myself.
Oh God Lux, don't. Don't upset yourself. My Dad did tell me once that an outfit I was wearing made me look 'less stout'. Which was a kinda backhanded compliment. I didn't think I looked at all stout in it! I hate that word anyway! But I let it go cos he's a man and what do they know, eh? I just thought it was a horrible card to send to a bride, making it all about her appearance and not about her happiness. Anyway, I think I might actually start crying now - bloody bloody wedding nerves - so going to go out for a walk with my niece!
LastRolo Posts: 6892
Jaysus - the poor girl!!
Jawl Posts: 8881
Lux, that would have sent me reaching for the bread and chocolate!! :eek
majybear Posts: 15
I hate the being called big-boned! Stout that would really annoy me!
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
OK I am a horrible person but this thread has given me a great big laugh :o0 :o0 :o0 I mean, not that I think it's [i:1dx51uw6]funny[/i:1dx51uw6] to tell your daughter she won't be beautiful unless she's slim, but it really is awful to the point of hilarity how AWFUL family members can be to each other sometimes. Also, I just love this: [quote="StupidSexyFlanders":1dx51uw6] "Look, here's a lovely gift for you cos we love you so much...you fatso" [/quote:1dx51uw6] and this: [quote="Smileykaz":1dx51uw6]My Dad did tell me once that an outfit I was wearing made me look 'less stout'.[/quote:1dx51uw6] "Less stout" has got to be the most [i:1dx51uw6]Dad trying to be nice and failing miserably[/i:1dx51uw6] comment of ALL TIME. Ladies, embrace your beautiful selves, the Bridal Glow transcends all things.