Job hunting while pregnant...?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mammybean Posts: 10364
Hi ladies. What is the story with applying for jons when pregnant? i am 9 weeks and have an interview on friday. am i under obligation to let them know?
Mamaboom Posts: 2094
Absolutely not. I think it's better all round if you don't tell. For example, say you tell them and don't get the job (for whatever reason) you'll always wonder then if it was because you didn't match the job description or because you were pregnant. It may also put the employer in an unpleasant position too. Just my opinion, I had an interview at 12 weeks but didn't get the job anyway!! Good luck with yours!
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Afaik there's no obligation on you to tell them and they have no right to ask you any personal questions of that nature. I went for an interview when I was 26wks pregnant on DD1. It was a job I'd applied for 6mths before I became pregnant. It was hilarious me trying to conceal my bump and them trying not to look at it. At least you won't have that problem at your interview. Best of luck with it.
gillette Posts: 1803
Nope, definitely no obligation to tell them and it's illegal for them to ask
thats good thanks ladies. we arent intending on telling anyone until 20 weeks now so they shouldnt even hear. I am hoping to get this job but they also have a more juniior position that i would happily take if i didnt get it iykwim. amything just to get back out there and a wage coming in!
randomusername Posts: 2134
You're not obliged to tell them but it might not be the best start to a job if you don't. I remember this happened once after I had interviewed loads of people, picked one of them and she started a month later with a bump. It caused so much hassle for us and while the girl is question wasn't treated badly she knew there was tension in the office because she hadn't told us. Just my 10c
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I understand it being a pain in the arse for the employer but tbh if you've got bills coming and mouths to feed you're going to put yourself first. The employer wouldn't have a problem letting you go if they needed to. It's not personal.
well to be honest i am only 9 weeks, we live in a small town. in general we wouldnt be telling anyone til 12 weeks though we have decided to wait til 20 this time and i really wouldnt like it to get around. Its a restaurant supervisor job and i really do think thatit would go against me if i was to tell them. I would be there for the whole summer and would only be gone in the quiet time when the wouldnt be open as much anyway iykwim. and just out of interest, and do be honest we dont know you lol. would you have still hired her?
Mamaboom Posts: 2094
[quote="Mammy Bean":23jn3gj6] and just out of interest, and do be honest we dont know you lol. would you have still hired her?[/quote:23jn3gj6] I bet not Mammy bean, the rejection would have been put under the guise of "someone more suitable also applied". I once worked for a company who didn't hire a girl because she was overweight. I was disgusted by it.
bunnyhop1 Posts: 419
Fair play to u Mammy...I gave up looking when I got bfp...I get too stressed by the whole thing :o(