Job offers while pregnant - the legal position

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

june08mg Posts: 77
Just came across this article and it's a subject that is regularly brought up on the forum. So here is the law for those who may need it....
ttc_bfp_opk_wtf Posts: 682
I don't think people are confused by the law, the problem is any employer with a tiny bit of sense is not going to say the reason is maternity leave/ potential maternity leave but rather they will find another reason which doesn't fall under one of the categories that is discriminatory e.g. someone else with "better" qualifications for a new job or something like timekeeping for an existing employee.
june08mg Posts: 77
[quote="ttc_bfp_opk_wtf":2ofo6hnr]I don't think people are confused by the law, the problem is any employer with a tiny bit of sense is not going to say the reason is maternity leave/ potential maternity leave but rather they will find another reason which doesn't fall under one of the categories that is discriminatory e.g. someone else with "better" qualifications for a new job or something like timekeeping for an existing employee.[/quote:2ofo6hnr] I think you're missing the point. Previously people were concerned with the morality of whether to advise during an interview that they are pregnant. Some people feel it's disingenuous to pretend when knowing full well that they can't fulfil the requirements of the job which is clearly unfair to the employer. This shows that even if indirectly asked it wont be held against you by the law that you said nothing/lied.
Trafford Posts: 463
Crikey! I'm a lawyer, and I think that ruling is very harsh on the employer.