Job query!!!..possible interview coming up.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Little Kitty Posts: 914
Hi there You might have seen my post of late about being sick, tired and depressed!!! Well I've got a meeting for a possible interview for a new job today but I just wanted to know has anybody out there ever worked in a corporate environment?? Is it very stuffy? Basically it's a job dealing with a lot of private clients rather than companies. Any feedback advise much appreciated.
mila Posts: 698
I work more with companies, than with individuals, and while I'd certainly not describe my environment as "stuffy", I would definitely say that there are formal rules of business etiquette observed. For example, in terms of dress, I would always wear a suit (with jacket), shirt (occasionally a nice top), stockings, and proper heels (no flip flops!) There's no dress code defined, it's just expected that you will present yourself in traditional business attire. My colleagues (all male, unfortunately) wear suits, ties, etc. Certain things are just sacred rules - like returning calls, calling people when you say you will, being on time for meetings, flights, etc. We have a lot of craic at work - there's a great buzz about the place, but we remember that we're paid to be there, and paid to give it 100% - it's possibly not as chilled as some places I've worked, but it's fun in it's own way. I'm not sure if this is what you mean?
Little Kitty Posts: 914
Hi Mila Thanx for that - yeah it is sort of what I meant I suppose the environment I work in at the moment while you have to present yourself in a business fashion I don't have to wear suits everyday - I can just wear a shirt and trousers or top and trousers/skirt/dress and these days because it's hot I've been wearing mules as shoes are killing my feet!! I'm not hugely into suits like the jacket etc but of course if it's part of the dress code I'll have to invest in some! Basically I just wanted to know also if you constantly have somebody looking over your shoulder as you work in these type of envirnoments or are you trusted to get on with things yourself as currently I am basically left to my own devises and our mgmt sees me as capable to work without interference from them unless I go to them myself about a particular issue. Mila how is it working with just guys?? Did you find it intimidating? Are you all the same age group? I suppose that's what is worrying me as well that I'll get into the company and be left working with a bunch of dinosaurs who have been with the company since the yr dot and there will be nobody around my own age group - late 20's to 30's Christ I'm such a complete drama queen aren't I - I'm just overthinking things now!!!! :oops:
mila Posts: 698
No, I think you're absolutely right to weigh things up - I'd be the same. Anyway, to answer your questions - I fly over to meet my boss about once every 7-8 weeks, but apart from that, I'm pretty much completely left to my own devices. I'm in constant contact with him, though - conference calls and stuff, so it's grand. Obviously, I have strategic goals to meet, and I have a couple of balls to keep in the air at once, but I wouldn't feel like there's any interference at all with my management of things. Working with all guys has good and bad points. I'm in my own office, so thankfully I can lock them out! ;) However, they're all older, and I'm the boss, which I found quite intimidating to start with. It's grand now, though - they're super guys, all very well qualified, and well able to deliver - I really can depend on them. There's only 1 or 2 that I'd go for a drink with the odd time, but I'm in and out of the office so much that I suppose I haven't really had time to develop much in the way of a 'personal' relationship with them - but maybe that's a good thing. I really miss female company, though - maybe why I still linger on here! I see some of my friends in jobs where there are loads of women to go for lunch with, go for drinks with, talk shopping, makeup, hairstyles, and all other manner of vacuous and inane things with, and I sometimes envy them. Then again, I've worked with some really nasty women in the past too, so working environments really are unique to the crew you're with! Very best of luck with the interview. I'd try and change jobs every so often, to keep things fresh - I'd be bored in the one position for ever, despite the variety of work. It's also a good time to negotiate a better deal for yourself money-wise! :D